ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Comic book plots

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Comic book plots

Postby Dejaduo » Thu May 05, 2011 5:42 pm

I'm considering writing a game that involves a comic book. I need to plot out an actual comic book for game purposes, but I am not into comic books, so I really don't have an idea what common plots these days involve. Who here reads a lot of comic books and can give me ideas?
Dejaduo

Re: Comic book plots

Postby BlueMaxima » Thu May 05, 2011 9:43 pm

It doesn't have to be your typical comic book, it can be Japanese manga as well, and Japanese manga does effectively EVERYTHING.
BlueMaxima

Postby DCBSupafly » Fri May 06, 2011 12:16 am

I don't really get into superheros too much, but Dark Knight was sweet. One of the best ways they pushed the plot along was having panels of news/tv personalities telling the parts of the story they didn't want to draw out.

My favorite comic has got to Transmetropolitan. Each book has a self-contained plot, and the protagonist is a journalist (ish) so you get narration from his articles and journal entries. It's not your standard comic though.

I'm reading Y The Last Man right now, and it's ridiculous. The plot is basically that every male creature on the planet dies at once except this one guy and his pet monkey. The overall plot is there. Bam. They are trying to figure out what happened. Each issue has him meeting different people (women) that have survived this.

In recurring comics, I guess it makes sense to have super-nemeses and they have different cronies who serve as antogonists for each episode, and the over-arching plot is continuous)

Really, just glance through a few comics at the store though.
DCBSupafly

Postby adriftste » Fri May 06, 2011 8:22 am

Superhero comics are the mainstay of the comics industry and have changed little over time. Bad guy comes to town, does his bad guy stuff, good guy battles bad guy, town is trashed, good guy defeates bad guy, bad guy goes to jail/another dimension/hell but very rarely dies so he can come back and do it all again and again and again.

Aside from the standards Batman, Superman, X-Men, Spidey etc (which can all get a bit been there done that - after all how many times do we need to see Batman battling the Joker?) take a look at Invincible from Image Comics for a more modern take on the superhero. Also Grant Morrisons Animal Man and especially his Doom Patrol (as well as the latest run of Doom Patrol) take the superhero genre out of the standard.

Zomibies are also really popular at the moment, the highlight for me being The Walking Dead, also from Image Comics. Although the first Marvel Zombies did give us a nice twist on the superhero comic.

But for me the best comics are the non-continuity comics. Vertigo Comics have always been great performers here. The aformentioned Y-The Last Man, Sandman, Hellblazer, Preacher, DMZ and Shade to name a few.

Take a look at the comixology web site. There are a lot of free comics there to read, and also browsing through the pay for comics should give you an idea as to what is popular. Also the Image Comics site has a lot of first issues that are free to read (including Invincible and The Walking Dead). Also the iFanboy or newsrama sites are also good places to see what is currently popular.
adriftste

Postby DCBSupafly » Fri May 06, 2011 5:49 pm

I love browsing through Comixology just to see what's being made!
DCBSupafly

Postby Dejaduo » Sun May 08, 2011 10:56 pm

OK, thanks, these are some good ideas. What if instead of a long game, there was a series of short, episodic games, like comic books or comic strips, with recurring characters? Would that be too annoying?
Dejaduo

Postby DCBSupafly » Mon May 09, 2011 12:07 am

Haha "too annoying"! I would give it a shot.
DCBSupafly

Postby ElliotM » Mon May 09, 2011 12:33 am

A series of short, episodic games with recurring characters would be an excellent thing to try, much easier than managing one humongous game and running out of steam before you finish.
ElliotM

Postby Dejaduo » Mon May 09, 2011 5:23 am

OK how does this sound... what if the recurring main character was a cartoon-like stupid superhero, sort of dumb along the lines of spongebob squarepants, but despite the fact that he does things wrong he sort of lucks into the right result. Like, his idea of saving a girl tied to a train track, he derails a whole train.

Would this be too trite and overdone?
Dejaduo

Postby gursikh11 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:55 am

There are many Japanese anime shows and books popular now days. You can select a specific character from those anime comic or books for your gaming project.
Love to read books such as Comic,Novels & Sikh Comic Books
gursikh11

Postby Lumin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:19 pm

There's a good chance you've already played it but the Earth and Sky series by Paul O'Brien.

Please don't do anything based on typical anime and manga tropes. I mean, you can, but just a fair warning I will assume you are intensely creepy and/or attracted to ten year old girls in maid uniforms IRL.
Lumin

Postby MikeDesert » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Last place winner of Adrift 2011 Ectocomp
MikeDesert

Postby charleshudgen » Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am

The comic book story ideas are just short snippets to get your creative juices flowing. Starting the creation process is the biggest and most difficult step, when it comes to writing your comic book story. But after that, you'll find that ideas and plots come naturally. You may seek an ideas from other comic books as a reference but don't let yourself to imitate the story because it would be boring and no excitement at all. From time to time, you may get comic book writer's block, do not get frustrated, take a break and then try again. Your own comic book story is a wonderful way to express yourself and let your imagination truly take flight.
charleshudgen

Return to General IF