ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

a day in prison

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

a day in prison

Postby jankupila » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 am

I am making a game named a day in prison. I have a corridor which consists of 4 rooms. How do I describe them in a way they don't sound same? They must be something else than "A corridor. North is Simon's cell, south is Mark's cell"
Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better idiot-proof programs, while
the Universe is trying to create bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning.
jankupila

Re: a day in prison

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:04 am

Since the corridor probably looks the same you should start by thinking about a standard description and then alter it slightly in the different rooms.
Remember you would want to give the player the impression that he's in a corridor and not different rooms as he walks the corridor.
But you could change the lights, for instance. If you have a 4 room corridor then the first room could be birghtly lit by a light fixture embeddedc in the ceiling whereas the next room wouldn't be lit nearly as bright. Also the walls could be a possibility.. Maybe the paint is peeling off here and there, is the a loudspeaker on the wall, etc. etc. There are plenty of things you can do.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: a day in prison

Postby jankupila » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:59 am

Thank you. I got some ideas.
Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better idiot-proof programs, while
the Universe is trying to create bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning.
jankupila

Return to General IF