ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Interactive Fiction Top 50

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Interactive Fiction Top 50

Postby David Whyld » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm not sure how many of us check out the main IF forum but they've got an interesting thread up now where people are voting for their favourite IF games of all time. Here actualy:http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3113

Might be a good opportunity to nominate some of your favourites or just have a good giggle at what other people think are good games :nerves:
David Whyld

Re: Interactive Fiction Top 50

Postby Lumin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:16 pm

David Whyld wrote:Might be a good opportunity to nominate some of your favourites

I definitely want to get in on this but I'll have to wait until I have the time and energy to write something coherent about them all. And I'm actually unsure how some of my original favorites would hold up today, maybe a few quick replays are in order on Saturday.

David Whyld wrote:or just have a good giggle at what other people think are good games :nerves:

Cue the next 50 posts gushing about Photopia.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:38 pm

The only oroblem with something like this is that games with an amazing reputation - take a bow Photopia - will get loads of votes simply because of their reputation. People often say a game is great not because they personally like it, but simply because others like it.

Interesting idea, though.
David Whyld

Postby VictorGijsbers » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:17 pm

I doubt whether people will say a game is great just because other people think it is great. But of course being well-known will definitely help a game get more votes in a competition like this -- which is why the results should be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyway, the results have been posted a while ago, but I don't think they have been linked to from this forum: Results.
VictorGijsbers

Postby David Whyld » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:40 pm

VictorGijsbers wrote:I doubt whether people will say a game is great just because other people think it is great.

Oh, I don't know about that. How often do film critics pretend they think a film is great just because it's got a good reputation? I'm sure quite a few people included Photopia in their lists because of its reputation alone.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:28 am

I'm pretty sure anyone who actually who cared enough to come up with a list cared enough to actually play the games they included.
Duncan_B

Return to General IF