ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Descriptions

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Descriptions

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm just wondering...
One of the issues regarding RtC has been that the location descriptions are very lengthy, and that people got annoyed having to look (read) them every time they passed through the various rooms. (so much for trying to create an atmosphere :wink: )

I've been thinking about, in the future, to just mention the necessary items, such as exits and objects of real interest. And then create an object with the same name as the locations and describe the atmosphere here. Would that be a good idea?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 58Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Descriptions

Postby Lazzah » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:16 pm

How about if you do TWO room descriptions for each location, the first one with "all the atmosphere", set it to "display only once", then define an alternative description with just the necessary items? The player would see the atmospheric description the first time they enter a location, then the one with just the necessary text thereafter.

I wish I could "create an atmosphere" as well as you can! :yeah:
W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt - The Spectre of Castle Coris - The Fortress of Fear - Die Feuerfaust - The Lost Children - Run, Bronwynn, Run!"
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Lazzah wrote:How about if you do TWO room descriptions for each location, the first one with "all the atmosphere", set it to "display only once", then define an alternative description with just the necessary items? The player would see the atmospheric description the first time they enter a location, then the one with just the necessary text thereafter.

I wish I could "create an atmosphere" as well as you can! :yeah:

Not a bad idea (and thanks for the compliment)
But doing it my way, the player can always get the atmospheric description whenever s/he wants by typing "look" The "only display once" option will only be displayed once.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Why not do both?!

BTW, I wouldn't set it so that the atmospheric description was displayed when the player types "Look", as this is what the player would type if they wanted to redescribe the location if it scrolled off screen (I do it a lot). I would display the long description as part of "Examine object", etc.

I thought Campbell was going to action a %location% reference so that we can actually examine a location instead of having to create a separate object that you have to examine? Are you reading this Mr. Wild? :whistle:
Also available: The Axe of Kolt - The Spectre of Castle Coris - The Fortress of Fear - Die Feuerfaust - The Lost Children - Run, Bronwynn, Run!"
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:59 pm

BTW, I wouldn't set it so that the atmospheric description was displayed when the player types "Look", as this is what the player would type if they wanted to redescribe the location if it scrolled off screen (I do it a lot). I would display the long description as part of "Examine object", etc.

Sorry, my mistake.. I meant that the atmospheric description would appear when the player typed "look at [location]"
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Hmmm, that is interesting. I would not have thought that a player would input "Look At" something? I only use "Examine" in my games. Mind you, I want to know what sort of inputs today's IF players use, I am used to the players of 15-20 years ago!
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Lazzah wrote:Hmmm, that is interesting. I would not have thought that a player would input "Look At" something? I only use "Examine" in my games. Mind you, I want to know what sort of inputs today's IF players use, I am used to the players of 15-20 years ago!

It's no big thing, really. You just create an object with the same name as your location.
Then when the player "look at location", or "examine location" the relevant object description will pop up.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Lazzah wrote:Are you reading this Mr. Wild? :whistle:
:peep:
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:01 am

Simplest solution? Just bold the exits. That's what I'm usually skimming for the second and third or fourth time when I'm just passing through. If I think there still might be something important in the room itself I will thoroughly read the description and think about things. If I'm not willing to do that, I have no business playing an IF game in the first place.
Lumin

Return to General IF