ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How People Actually Play ADRIFT Games?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

How People Actually Play ADRIFT Games?

Postby Lazzah » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi all,

I used to play text adventures avidly from the mid to late 80's, when I started writing my own games. I stopped playing games at that point, partly because I didn't want to be accused of plagarising other adventures - if I don't play other people's games then I cannot be accused of copying them! Didn't stop one or two people, though!

In those pre-internet days of 8 bit Sinclair Spectrums (who here is old enough to remember the rubber keyboards?!), Commodores and Amstrads, we used to physically draw a map on paper and make pages full of notes as we played a game. I am sure that most modern game players still do, but it got me wondering whether there are any people who play games written using ADRIFT who use the built-in map function instead of drawing a map on paper? Also, does anybody use macros when playing games? I certainly use them when I have to replay my adventure from the beginning when I have made major additions and or changes, but do not know if they would be used for playing games as well.

If you do use the map when playing games, do you have it open at the same time as you are playing, i.e. like a split screen with the ADRIFT Runner occupying one half of the screen and the map the other?

Your thoughts on the above subjects would be most appreciated.

Thank you for reading this.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: How People Actually Play ADRIFT Games?

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:44 am

First of all I wouldn’t worry about being accused for plagiarising other games. I play games and if I come across an excellent puzzle I will use it (maybe change it a little, but still) Another thing is that I think it was great if people used a puzzle I have thought of. Hey, that must be the ultimate acceptance.
I remember the Spectrum days, and the old rubber keyboard 
It’s probably just an old habit, but I like (prefer) to have a clean screen when playing a game, so I mostly use pencil and paper when drawing a map. Only recently have I started using the built in map in adrift. It was when I played “Cursed”, and I had the map visible on top of the screen.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 am

Po. Prune wrote:First of all I wouldn’t worry about being accused for plagiarising other games. I play games and if I come across an excellent puzzle I will use it (maybe change it a little, but still) Another thing is that I think it was great if people used a puzzle I have thought of. Hey, that must be the ultimate acceptance.

I only wish that adventure writers in the 1980's & 90's had had your attitude, P.O.! I remember one guy writing (email hadn't been heard of in those days!) to me to demand that I removed a certain puzzle from one of my games as I "had clearly copied it from his new game". As I had never played his game, how could I have copied it? It was inevitable, with so many authors around in those days, that two writers would independantly come up with the same idea for a puzzle in an adventure game, even for a whole plot! In any case, I worked out that I had come up with the idea first anyway, so who was he to accuse me!?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:16 am

Did you ask him to remove his? :yeah:
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:43 am

Campbell wrote:Did you ask him to remove his? :yeah:

Do you know, I can't remember! Probably not. As I said, it was not uncommon for game authors to independantly come up with the same ideas for puzzles and plots. I remember this happening with my fellow authors amongst the Hamilton Halls Gang. we would just laugh about it and have mock arguements of "I thought of it first!!" Ah, those were the days....... :cry: When I think of the never-ending debate over the "string vest", it brings it all back. They were some of the best years of my life.
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Yes, I remember the Spectrum with its uber cheap and tacky keyboard which got roundly mocked for being so cheap and tacky. Even by me. And I had one. As soon as I swapped it for a Commodore, I used to mercilessly laugh at my friends for still being Speccies, while quietly overlooking the fact that I had recently been one myself. Ah, good times.

As for the map, I use it when playing games but always keep it hidden and available at a key press. I find it unnecessary to have it on screen all the time and it makes the screen look cramped. I haven't drawn a map with pen and paper for years and find that for the most part you don't tend to need them these days. Most of the entries in current BetaTest Comp seem to cover an area that's easy enough to visualise in your mind or are small enough that maps aren't really required. It’s nice to have an automap in ADRIFT, though, and the few times I play non-ADRIFT games and need a map, I find it a pain they don't have any automap facility of their own. Considering how useful a map is in playing IF games, it’s surprising that ADRIFT is still the only one with an automap.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:03 pm

David Whyld wrote:it’s surprising that ADRIFT is still the only one with an automap.
That surprises me too.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Just proves that you're far ahead of yoru time, Campbell ... :whistle:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Just proves that you're far ahead of yoru time

Yoru time? Is that something you Danes use instead of normal CET? :wink:
Lazzah

Postby dannychabino » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:59 pm

I had a C64, and I remember thinking things were really awesome when I upgraded to a C128. Played text adventures in exactly the way you described, with written maps and notes. I think Planetfall was my favorite at the time. I tried writing my own but was not sophisticated enough in my programming skills to write beyond choose your own adventures in BASIC.

Now, I prefer to play only games written in Adrift juast because I am too lazy to hand write out maps.
dannychabino

Postby Lazzah » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:22 pm

David Whyld wrote:I haven't drawn a map with pen and paper for years and find that for the most part you don't tend to need them these days. Most of the entries in current BetaTest Comp seem to cover an area that's easy enough to visualise in your mind or are small enough that maps aren't really required.

Well, wait until you (hopefully) play "Fortress of Fear", nearing completion now, which has well over 250 accessable locations - so far! Better get plenty of paper and pencils ready.

I have also just started converting "The Axe of Kolt", the first fastasy game I wrote. The Spectrum PAW original was four parts each with 50 locations, so expect at least 200 in that. The other games in the "Alaric Blackmoon" series that I hope to convert in the future are "The Spectre of Castle Coris" (originally a two part game, 150 locations), ; "The Lost Children" (the only 1 part game I ever wrote - 160 loc'ns), and "Die Feuerfaust" (originally 4 parts - at least 200 loc'ns).

There is also "Run, Bronwyn, Run!" (not exactly an Alaric Blackmoon adventure, but he puts in an appearance at the end! - originally 3 parts, 180 loc'ns)

I might as well mention my other three games, the sci-fi ones. They were "Magnetic Moon", "Starship Quest" and "Revenge of the Space Pirates". By the time I get around to converting these three I will probably have retired from work! More time to work on them! :yeah:
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Lazzah wrote:
Po. Prune wrote:Just proves that you're far ahead of yoru time

Yoru time? Is that something you Danes use instead of normal CET? :wink:

Hmm that's right.. You just alughte at me... :P
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Lazzah wrote:Well, wait until you (hopefully) play "Fortress of Fear", nearing completion now, which has well over 250 accessable locations - so far!
I, for one, am looking forward to it... :welldone:
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Lazzah, why so many remakes?
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:39 am

David Whyld wrote:Lazzah, why so many remakes?

Well, mainly (if I have to be honest) because - like the movie industry these days - it is easier to revamp old games than it is to think up new ones!

A thought: I have noticed there are a number of remakes of old games by fellow Drifters, i.e. Campbell's Jacaranda Jim and Crystal Caverns by billy7720, to name a couple. Anything they can do, I can do more of! :yeah:
Lazzah

Next

Return to General IF