ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How People Actually Play ADRIFT Games?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: How People Actually Play ADRIFT Games?

Postby Lumin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 pm

Pfft, good players keep the map in their heads. :P

Coming from a background of playing MUDs I guess I got used to memorizing routes and navigating giant text worlds without much help, even if it did mean my character sometimes did a lot of bashing into walls when I was trying to go somewhere in a hurry and forgot the exact exit. From there I went to Inform games and such before I discovered ADRIFT, and I remember playing several games from here before even realizing the automap existed.

It's a handy tool for certain games, and I'll use it now and then (keeping it minimized because I hate cluttered screens) but most adventures are small enough that it's not totally necessary. In fact I'd say logically laid out maps with clearly indicated directions are signs of good game design...if I have to use a map the author might be doing something wrong.
Lumin

Re: How People Actually Play ADRIFT Games?

Postby MikeDesert » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:19 am

I prefer using graph paper...I'm old school. ;)
Last place winner of Adrift 2011 Ectocomp
MikeDesert

Previous

Return to General IF