ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Is this acceptable?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Is this acceptable?

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:56 am

In my next game the player will find a large meadow. But imstead of having to create several locations with almost the same description I was thinking about overriding the [Player movement] general task and just describe how s/he (the player) walks for hours on end until s/he finally reaches (whatever location) and then move the player there and describe the new location.
Would this be acceptable to you as a player, or would you rather walk through 3 - 4 almost identical locations?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Is this acceptable?

Postby dannychabino » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:10 pm

That is very close to the same thing I was planning. It seems like, to me, if there is a really large area of the same sort of thing, that something like this is the only workable option. I very occasionally include an extra location to provide a feeling of size of the area, but prefer not to. In my case, I'm writing it such that the player is warned of continued travel in that direction could result in death (it's an unually hot and dry desert). I was planning on addressing it with tasks that allow the player to continue walking outward for a bit until death, but without actually ever leaving the originaly location. May not be the most elegant way.
dannychabino

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Why not just have a single location but simply make it clear in the description that it's a large location? You don't need to include several extra locations just to convey how big something is.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Po.: Unless you feel that the repetition of the spaces adds something meaningful to the player's experience, I would say not including the extra rooms is not only acceptable, but preferable.
Duncan_B

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks a lot to all of you. :Thanks:
You've been very helpful. I will now go on with the game...
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby MikeDesert » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:44 am

Just make it all killer and no filler (as Jerry Lee would say)
Last place winner of Adrift 2011 Ectocomp
MikeDesert

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

MikeDesert wrote:Just make it all killer and no filler (as Jerry Lee would say)

I am breaking this rule so hard right now. Good thing I'll probably never finish this game... ]:)
Lumin

Return to General IF