ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

We have the technology, we can remake it...

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

We have the technology, we can remake it...

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:12 am

I've noticed that remakes seem remarkably popular among ‘drifters right now, with half the forum appearing to be intent on remaking pretty much every IF game ever written, and I have to ask: why?

I've never really seen the point in remaking old games, unless it’s purely as a programming exercise to see whether it’s possible to do such-and-such a puzzle in a current system. I can play the original game, why would I want to play a remake? What does the remake offer me that the original didn't? You also run into the same problems remaking old IF games that you get with film makers forever remaking old films:

1) The remake, however good it might be, will never be seen as good as the original.

2) People will dislike the remake on the principle that it’s a remake, probably before they even play it.

Why remake an old game that people can already play in its original format? Why not spend the time and effort writing something new?
David Whyld

Re: We have the technology, we can remake it...

Postby Campbell » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:18 am

Well, from my own point of view it's important to work out what is and isn't possible, and which things are cumbersome, without having to think too much about the story I'm creating, so that's why I do it.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:48 am

David Whyld wrote:I've noticed that remakes seem remarkably popular among ‘drifters right now, with half the forum appearing to be intent on remaking pretty much every IF game ever written, and I have to ask: why?

Why remake an old game that people can already play in its original format? Why not spend the time and effort writing something new?

I can only speak for myself and say that I do not intend to reproduce "The Axe of Kolt" (for example) exactly the same as the original Spectrum version, as other people have been doing with ADRIFT versions of their favourite games. My intention is to program a much enhanced game, with improved conversation between characters, etc, and all the bits I had to leave out to be able to complete the adventure within the very limited memory available. I like to think of it as the "Axe of Kolt" that would've been had we had the unlimited processing power of a PC in those days, instead of a Spectrum +3 with 128k of memory.

As it is my own game, I am able to this. It has never occured to me to attempt a remake of, say, "Sphinx Adventure" (the first text adventure I ever played in my life) or "Twin Kingdom Valley", which are two of my all-time favourites.
W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt - The Spectre of Castle Coris - The Fortress of Fear - Die Feuerfaust - The Lost Children - Run, Bronwynn, Run!"
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:41 pm

David Whyld wrote:I can play the original game, why would I want to play a remake? What does the remake offer me that the original didn't?
Actually, another feasible reason is that you can't play the original. Many older games are 16-bit only, which means that (without running an emulator) you can't run them in 64-bit operating systems. Or perhaps online.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:53 pm

To run any game offline I need to download something (be it the ADRIFT Runner, Inform, TADS, etc). Why is that different to downloading an emulator? Playing online, okay that's a fair point, but given the choice I'll always go for offline play.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:34 pm

I gotten into IF well after the golden age of InfoCom had passed, so there's plenty of classic IF out there I've never touched. If someone did a sleeker and slightly more forgiving remake I could see myself giving it a go, so there's that.

From a programmer's standpoint I can also see the appeal - it would give someone an opportunity to learn the ropes of Adrift 5 without actually having to come up with a full game's worth of plot, puzzles, etc. from scratch.
Lumin

Return to General IF