ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Playing updated (revised) games

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Playing updated (revised) games

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:08 am

Does anyone go back and play a game they've played before?
I'm thinking about the people who finds a bug in their game or change (improve) their game in some way.
If you have already played that game, how likely is it that you'd go back and play it again? (and why?)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 54Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Playing updated (revised) games

Postby David Whyld » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 pm

It probably depends on the game itself and how much I enjoyed playing it. If the bug prevented me finishing the game, and this was now fixed, I might go back to it again just to see how things turn out in the end. But if it was just a case of fixing something minor, I doubt I'd go back and play it again. I'm very unlikely to go back and play a game if the author simply changed the gameplay, unless the changes were significant and I really liked the game.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:20 pm

But I suppose the improvement benefits everyone who plays it for the first time afterwards.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:12 pm

This isn't actually about replaying a revised/updated game, but many years ago I did ask people who had played my own adventures if there was anything that would make them replay an adventure (not necessarily one of mine) after they had completed it the first time. I was seeking to find out if there was anything I could do to improve the "replayability" of my own adventures.

The almost unanimous answer from those that said they would replay an adventure was that they would only replay it if they had not scored the maximum number of points the first time. A couple said they would not consider a game to be "completed" unless they had completed it with maximum points scored.

This led me to start to include (sneakily, some players said) points for non-essential inputs in my adventures. I would also have a "You have scored Maxiumum Points!" message as well as "You scored 998 points out of 1000 in that adventure", in the hope that they would replay the adventure.
W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt - The Spectre of Castle Coris - The Fortress of Fear - Die Feuerfaust - The Lost Children - Run, Bronwynn, Run!"
Lazzah

Postby Kennedy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:20 pm

If a game has multiple endings then I might go back and play it to see what the other endings were like.
Kennedy

Postby Lumin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:29 pm

I barely have time to play games through once as it is anymore (and not just IF, Skyrim has been sitting in my Steam library for two weeks now and I haven't even installed it yet...I'm kind of afraid to), so a game would have to A) be something that really caught my interest in the first place and B) undergo vast changes such as major bugfixes and/or new puzzles. (Last Resort being updated and rereleased as Lydia's Heart is the most major example I can think of off the top of my head)

As for replayability in general, I don't generally obsess on getting the infamous last lousy point, but definitely replay a game with multiple paths, provided I'm enjoying it in the first place. Multiple paths of course being a different thing from multiple endings...for the latter I'll just hit undo a couple of times and they generally feel kind of lazy to me.
Lumin

Return to General IF