ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Know anyone who writes IF from a mock transcript?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Know anyone who writes IF from a mock transcript?

Postby ElliotM » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:31 pm

I've known about this approach for awhile now from J. Robinson Wheeler's website, but I was wondering if there was anyone here that used mock transcripts for writing their games (Adrift or other). It seems like it could be pretty handy when used in conjunction with Trizbort, the interactive IF mapper, which can create a map from a transcript with user guidance. This could be a nice way to develop IF for any IF platform that can import Trizbort maps. For example, there was an enhancement request for Trizbort import in Adrift 5 if you'd like to vote on it, and I know that Trizbort already exports to Inform and TADS, with some tweaking of the generated files.
ElliotM

Re: Know anyone who writes IF from a mock transcript?

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Benjamin Collins-Sussman and Jack Welch wrote Rover's Day Out and Hoosegow using the "transcript first" method. Both were competition winners (IFComp 2009 and the JayisGames IF Competition).
Duncan_B

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:33 am

Very interesting.
I don't write my games from a transcript, but the article looks very interesting indeed.
I have added it as a bookmark and will most certainly read it more thoroughly. (everyone should 8) )
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Hensman Int'l » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:38 pm

There is a game I was going to release for a 3 hr competition that was "transcript" driven, but just the transcript conversion exceeded the time limit. Someday I'll continue the effort on that game. :peep: I must say that if a writer uses only one technique, you miss the creative opportunity for something different. Though I'm sloow to release, ideas pop out when trying something different.
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Return to General IF