ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

A role for InsideADRIFT?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

A role for InsideADRIFT?

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:00 am

If you're familiar with the thing at all, you probably know that ADRIFT's old newsletter, InsideADRIFT, has been very much a periodical in search of a purpose in the community. Many of its potential roles (e.g., posting "articles," interviews, establishing calendars for competitions, etc.) are redundant with the activities of the Forum and have gone unused despite general and even directed appeals for content. Our last issue was released at the end of 2009. But there may be one thing the old publication can do for the community with which ADRIFT normally struggles: advertising.

No, I don't plan on sticking ads into our next issue. What I mean to propose is that we could hook InsideADRIFT up with other publication databases so that authors searching for a place to be published might find us. My current thought is to submit for a listing at Duotrope.com. It would mean modifying the mission of the newsletter a bit, but it is not entirely a stranger to having published fiction.

You might be thinking it strange to not just hook Duotrope up to ADRIFT directly, but 3 things currently prevent ADRIFT from being listed on Duotrope by itself: the presence of fan fiction, lack of submission guidelines, and the "carefully edited" clause (requiring that "material is reviewed by an editor before publication and at least some submissions are rejected; writing communities that publish everything they receive do not qualify"). Depending on the strictness of the clause, it could even escape the "carefully edited" bit, but the other two would still nail it shut.

InsideADRIFT, on the other hand, has not featured fan fiction and is curated by an editor. It does not, however, have submission guidelines posted. This can be fixed. I am willing to write my guidelines if Campbell would be willing to post them on the main website. I believe InsideADRIFT should also have its own section on the forum.

Given this fix, it may be possible to widen our potential audience by listing InsideADRIFT on Duotrope.com. We could advertise as looking for fiction authors writing short fiction related to interactive fiction, stories written as IF transcripts, and/or IF written in ADRIFT. We might also find authors willing to write articles, though looking for articles specifically might require setting up with another similar site. However, Duotrope would also give us a way to advertise our competitions with their weekly e-mail service for members, including a description of themes, requirements, and deadlines.

I'll turn this one over to the community. What are your thoughts on such a potential move? Should we go ahead with it? Would you be more willing to engage with the newsletter if it were connected to literary communities in a wider way? I'd also be happy to hear if someone has ever found anything like Duotrope searching for journalists, non-fiction authors, or anything that could get us articles/more content.
Duncan_B

Re: A role for InsideADRIFT?

Postby ElliotM » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:09 am

That seems very interesting, but the question is whether Adrift is ready for that kind of audience. Meaningfully growing the user base can only be a good thing, but this seems like a best foot forward approach would be critical to success, and I don't see a whole lot of authoring activity going on right now (explainable perhaps by Adrift 5's alpha/beta status).
ElliotM

Postby Campbell » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 am

I think it's a great idea. I also think I haven't done enough in the past to support the newsletter, just letting you guys 'get on with it'. I think it needs it's own page on the main site, plus each new issue should be mentioned in the main news update and on the Facebook page.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby KFAdrift » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Well, I do still have the insideadrift.org.uk domain name registered, but I know I do very little with it. I'm afraid I devote little time to Adrift or IF at the moment, that may change, but at the moment my interests lie elsewhere. There has to be a role for fan support of Adrift - no Campbell, you gave plenty to the newsletter after all without you it wouldn't exist at all.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks KF. :)
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to General IF