ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

2011 XYZZY Awards

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

2011 XYZZY Awards

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:56 pm

XYZZY Award nominations are open until February 10th. One needn't vote in every category for votes to be valid, impartial votes are encouraged over no votes. From intfiction.org...
maga wrote:It would be great to see discussion about the games you think should win. Some years back I did a set of thinking-out-loud XYZZY-oriented reviews for the second round, and found it a really valuable process; I would be super happy if people did similar things. I'd particularly encourage discussion of deserving games that were released outside the major comps and may not have received as much attention. Every year, people don't vote because they feel that they haven't played enough games to have a valid opinion. Anything you can do to help overcome that -- suggesting games that might be worth playing, talking about your choices -- is a Good Thing.

The following ADRIFT games from 2011 are all eligible:

Whitterscap's Key, by D. Bowsman
Suburban Prodigy, by M. Desert
Stuck Piggy, by M. Desert
Seymour’s Stoopid Quest, by M. Scheidecker
Seek and Enjoy, by Backmasker
Return to Camelot, by F. Rosenløv
Monster Island, by Jim the Hermit
Mangiasaur, by DCBSupafly
Jabberwocky, by W.B. Degelmann
In Memory, by J.A. Lott
Ignis Fatuus, by DCBSuperfly
Hungry, by R. Otter
How Suzy Got Her Powers, by D. Whyld
The House, by F. Rosenløv
Death Shack, by Mel. S
The Crooked Estate, by D. Bowsman
Brain Dead Weekend, by E. Anderson
Attack of Doc Lobster’s Mutant Menagerie of Horror, by D. Bowsman
Cursed, by N. Rogers
Back Home, by J. Webb

So I thought I'd give a nod to some ADRIFT games I thought might be worth a nomination in each category this year. Perhaps you'd also like to suggest something here and/or cast your vote(s) here?

Best Game: Cursed. This game was a labour of love, and its writing and craft clearly show that. I think it deserves this nomination.
Best Writing: Cursed. See above.
Best Story: Back Home. It's unfortunate some implementation issues might have prevented less adventurous players from experiencing this creepy piece.
Best Setting: The Crooked Estate (Am I allowed to suggest that? Does that disqualify me? My personal vote for Best Setting is going to "Blue"...). Maybe not a great game, but the point was more to provide a place to explore and be vaguely creeped out by. I like to think it succeeded in that, but maybe I'm deluded.
Best Puzzles: Cursed. Each puzzle had a different possible solution based on the player's form.
Best NPCs: Return to Camelot. The NPCs in this game may not have been the most deeply implemented, but they reflected the feel of the game and gave it a certain charm. The author also used a different technique for greeting NPCs which eased interaction.
Best Individual Puzzle: "Putting out the fire" in How Suzy Got Her Powers. Deceptively simple, this puzzle has multiple solutions and is implemented so smoothly (even working in a non-standard verb naturally) that one might not even think of it as a puzzle. Reflective of good modern game design.
Best Individual NPC: "Sam" from In Memory. An NPC almost entirely defined by user input and interpretation.
Best PC: Mangiasaur. It's hard to argue that it isn't incredible to play a game where you raise a dinosaur up from a hatchling to a deified, fire-breathing terror.
Best Implementation: In Memory. Considering way this game was made, both its breadth and depth of implementation are impressive.
Best Use of Innovation: Seek and Enjoy. The author hid puzzle clues and messages in the game's audio using backmasking techniques.
Best Technological Development: ADRIFT Web Runner. ADRIFT is now playable in-browser! Huzzah!
Best Supplemental Materials: ??? (Did any ADRIFT games have supplemental materials/feelies this year?)

Well, that's it for my list of suggestions and thoughts for ADRIFT games at this year's XYZZY Awards. It'd be nice to see some ADRIFT games up in the running, even if they don't win. Thoughts, questions, comments?

Hopefully you'll get out there and vote, no matter what you vote for.
Duncan_B

Re: 2011 XYZZY Awards

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Just wondering if anybody has cast their nominations for the XYZZYs? There's less than a week left-- nomination period ends February 10th.
Duncan_B

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:44 pm

I'll get around to it next week... But I promise I'll do it.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DCBSupafly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Dare I ask, what are feelies?
DCBSupafly

Postby Hensman Int'l » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:35 am

Back in the early Infocom days feelies were supplements included in the box besides a map. Like with "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", you got a "Don't Panic!" button, a notice of demolition for Arthur's house, a notice of demolition for Earth, a small bag of lint, etc. With our games they could be graphics, a hint "book", or any thing else you can think of.
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby DCBSupafly » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 am

Sweet.
DCBSupafly

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Anyone nominated games yet? There's precious little time left to do it.

In case you're thinking your vote doesn't matter, let me remind you that it's the nomination phase. As I understand it, any game with a cluster of votes will be nominated. So, yes, every single vote matters. Let's get some ADRIFT games up there.
Duncan_B

Postby Campbell » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Duncan_B wrote:Let's get some ADRIFT games up there.
Hear hear!
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 pm

Have you cast any nominations, Campbell? I'd be interested in hearing what you voted for.
Duncan_B

Postby rotter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:17 pm

My votes are cast.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 am

And so is mine :yeah:

Surprised to see D-Day there (that is if it's mine) It's only a trailer and was made ages ago.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 pm

The nominations are in! There are ADRIFT nominees in three categories this year, including...

-Finalist for Best Individual Puzzle: Putting out the fire in How Suzy Got Her Powers, by David Whyld.
-Finalist for Best Individual PC: Mangiasaur from Mangiasaur, by DCBSupafly.
-Finalist for Best Technological Development: ADRIFT Web Runner, by Campbell Wild.

Congratulations and good luck to all of our finalists! Remember to cast your vote for the winner before March 1st.

Surprised to see D-Day there (that is if it's mine) It's only a trailer and was made ages ago.

Actually, that D-Day in particular refers to this game.
Duncan_B

Postby Campbell » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:25 am

Thanks for the nomination! :Thanks:
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:20 am

Actually, that D-Day in particular refers to this game

Ohh, that explains a lot... :blush:
Well, I'm not changing the title of my game. HA :P
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Voted! :)
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Next

Return to General IF