ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

2011 XYZZY Awards

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: 2011 XYZZY Awards

Postby DCBSupafly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Web runner is a pretty big deal IMO. Also, what a crazy category!
DCBSupafly

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:53 pm

I've also submitted my votes. Good luck to all of the ADRIFT entries!

Has anyone been keeping up with the Zombie Exodus/ChoiceScript controversy at this year's awards? What do you think about it?
Duncan_B

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:20 pm

I have briefly read about it. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I also went to the blog but it didn't seem like such a big deal to me. Maybe I missed something...
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 58Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:05 pm

I started reading about it but after the umpteenth screen going over the same points, I kind of lost interest. In a nutshell, the gist seems to be that a game which no one had even heard of before has received loads of nominations and looks set to sweep the XYZZY Awards and - shock! Horror! - it's not a proper IF game at all but some kind of hyperlinked game instead. Which isn't really IF. Except some people think it is. And then some other people start debating the definition of IF and some other people start using really big words that I'd have to look up in a dictionary to be able to understand, and then someone else repeats what was said by some other chap five screens ago and... so on and so forth...

The end result will probably be a new rule introduced disqualifying games like this in future, which sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. "What - my game didn't win an award? Then next year I'm going to - mwahahaha! - introduce a new rule which states only my games are eligible!" Cue more evil laughter.

But yeah I'm with Prune on this one. Seems like a Mount Everest made out of a tiny hill to me.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 pm

To recap for others who aren't on intfiction.org, the issue is not about form, but about crowdsourcing votes. "CYOA vs. Parser IF" was a spin-off thread.
Duncan_B

Previous

Return to General IF