ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

InsideADRIFT: Name change?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

InsideADRIFT: Name change?

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Hey, everybody. Am I the only one who feels it's time for our newsletter to get a new name? It's changed once before... and InsideADRIFT sounds a bit too insular for its current goals. I was thinking of renaming it 'DRIFTwood. Any opposed?

New issue soon, btw.
Duncan_B

Re: InsideADRIFT: Name change?

Postby Mystery » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:44 pm

I oppose. I rather like InsideADRIFT, as it is perfectly fitting. I understand that sometimes a name change is a good thing....if it's fitting and compliments the subject matter. I just don't feel like DRIFTwood really fits. Sorry, just my two cents...which isn't worth much :haha:
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:50 pm

InsideADRIFT sounds insular? But isn't it meant to be the newsletter of the ADRIFT community? And what are its current goals anyway?
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 am

Sounds like the name change is not supported. Just thought I'd float the idea. My thoughts were that 'DRIFTwood doesn't have to be pretty, but it goes places and people can make what they want of it (the title and the object).

Current goals are to provide an interface for ADRIFT with wider IF and (eventually) literary communities, as opposed to being a newsletter about ADRIFT for ADRIFT (which leads to it being mostly redundant with the Forum/IFDB and never getting any submissions). I would like to use the publication to attract more people to ADRIFT, show them some of the things going on in our community, and to help them get to know the community itself. Most of the content (interviews, etc.) will still fit (none since I've been editor would need to be *cut*), but will be packaged with a collection of short games (if we can get them) and transcripts. I would also like to offer a space to publish imaginary transcripts without actual games attached as an outlet for works of short fiction.

If those plans aren't suitable to the community, I can step down as editor, let someone else take the reins, and start my own publication. Or we could bury InsideADRIFT again. It's currently only being used as a title for clusters of games that get released from time-to-time without any relation to the newsletter and as a title for awards that we haven't even been able to get a vote on since 2009.

Whoa, downer. At any rate, please look forward to the publication of February's issue of InsideADRIFT soon.
Duncan_B

Postby Mystery » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:16 am

InsideADRIFT is intended to be a closer look at the software, works created within that software, the community and other writings and submissions by the ADRIFT community. Literally a look inside all that is ADRIFT. It is afterall, a newsletter ABOUT ADRIFT, but does not necessarily need to be limited to just the ADRIFT community, or even contain content that is limited to just ADRIFT.

A name change isn't going to make the content different/better...the content is. A name change isn't going to make it more visible to the wider IF community...distribution is. Maybe including a little of what is going on in the wider IF community would be a good addition etc, but don't lose sight of what InsideAdrift is really about....ADRIFT.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:20 am

I'm not dead set against a name change if a proper name could be found. But I like the name InsideADRIFT, like Myst says, it describes very well what the newsletter is about.
But it was a good idea to suggest the name change, just look at the posts in this thread. :wink:
The goal Duncan describes are fine with me. InsideADRIFT would be the perfect place for authors to publish a transcript of their game(s) (I can't believe it hasn't been suggested earlier) and perhaps more people would read it if it was well known that each issue would hold one or two transcripts. With a transcript available more people would play through the games instead of discarting it at the first sign of trouble.
My biggest concern is whether the newsletter will ever fly again. It seems that Drifters all like to read the newsletter but very few could actually be bothered writing an article or two for it.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:05 am

I'm not that opposed to a name change, but I think InsideADRIFT is a better title than DRIFTwood any day. Naming a newletter after debris washed onto a beach doesn't really seem like a good idea.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:21 am

Po. Prune wrote:It seems that Drifters all like to read the newsletter but very few could actually be bothered writing an article or two for it.
Well I'm up for doing an interview/article in it if that would help?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby NickyDude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 am

May be have some sort of competition to find a new name? I must admit I'd rather have insideADRIFT as it does exactly what it says on the tin, but if you want to reach wider audience with different content then a name change might be in order.
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby ElliotM » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 pm

David Whyld wrote:I'm not that opposed to a name change, but I think InsideADRIFT is a better title than DRIFTwood any day. Naming a newletter after debris washed onto a beach doesn't really seem like a good idea.

That would be my sentiment as well, we can take a bit more pride in our work than that I think.
Last edited by ElliotM on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElliotM

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 am

I suppose a new name isn't so important as long as the community supports its goals. Also, I guess I have a more romantic image of driftwood than most people? Ah, well.

Anyway, look forward to the new issue soon.
Duncan_B

Postby BlueMaxima » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:56 am

I find it hilarious both the current title and the title that Duncan wanted to change it too can both be taken as sexual references.

Just saying.

*Walks away*
BlueMaxima

Postby DCBSupafly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Consider. A poem:

Bob on gentle waves,
Smooth contours and mystery
adrift in the brine.
DCBSupafly

Return to General IF