ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

New game?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: New game?

Postby Lazzah » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:55 pm

David Whyld wrote:That's a good point, but it’s worth bearing in mind the fact that the ADRIFT community isn't really big enough to provide much in the way of betatesting. How many people do we really have here? A couple dozen at most, of which some don't post very regularly at all. Unless every single forum member is going to throw themselves into betatesting on a full time basis, you're always going to struggle to find people willing to test your game. Lengthy delays while asking for testers are inevitable in a community this size.

My recent experience is somewhat different. I posted a message on the game-testers.org site and got several replies volunteering to playtest my adventure. Of those 7, only one has been of any use, the rest were total time-wasters - I sent them my game and never heard another thing from them. OK, I know that my game might not be to everyone's taste, it is very big and challenging, but they could have at least given me some idea why they didn't want to playtest it? Instead they just didn't bother contacting me again, it is very disheartening.

I would add that the two playtesters who are working on the game are doing a great job and are finding all sorts of things that need fixing or that I need to add to the game. I had to say that because of of them is a regular on this forum and I want him to say nice things about my adventure. Mind you, I am playtesting HIS adventure, so he'd better be nice to me as well! :haha:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Well, game-testers.org isn't anything to do with ADRIFT as far as I know so your success (or otherwise) at finding people there willing to test your game doesn't really affect my point about the size of the ADRIFT community.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm in agreement with David. Even though we still seem to get a fairly steady stream of newcomers signing up and we have a lot of ADRIFT veterans that presumably check on the Forum from time-to-time (check out the birthday threads), it's possible to count the number of active participants on one hand.
Duncan_B

Previous

Return to General IF