ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Indirect Influence In Progress

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Indirect Influence In Progress

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:24 pm

I am currently creating a very surreal and detailed game called Indirect Influence. It is currently in progress, but you can play it anyway. Enjoy!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that there is a score system for the first time ever.
Blank Pieces of Paper=5 Points
Spotted Eggs=10 Points
Pieces of Silver=15 Points
Pieces of Gold=25 points
Diamonds=50 points

Eating a piece of raw food=1 point
Eating a piece of cooked food=10 points

Obviously, diamonds are the hardest to find.
Oh, when I say cooked food, I mean you actually have to cook some raw food into cooked food. For example:
1. Open Fridge
2. Open Egg Container
3. Take Egg
4. Open Cabinet
5. Take Pan
6. Turn on Stove
7. Put pan on stove
8. Put egg on pan
9. Look on counter
10. Take Spatula
11. Wait (About 3 more turns)
12. (The eggs are done) Turn off stove
13. Open Overhead Cabinet
14. Take Plate
15. Use Spatula to put Eggs on Plate
16. Eat Eggs
Clever ideas to the max
Attachments
Indirect Influence.taf
This is a .taf file, if anyone wants me to upload it as a .exe file, just ask.
(14.82 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Re: Indirect Influence In Progress

Postby saabie » Wed May 02, 2012 1:08 am

What fridge? Its not there.
but you can play it anyway.
Err, no. This is far from playable, its not even ready for alpha testing.
As you have not asked any specific questions i will assume you are actually after some general comments on what you have written so far, so here are my first impressions:

Why does the paper and egg mysteriously disappear when you take them?
There is no message saying that they disappear, they are just not in your inventory after you take them.

In the kitchen you have said "To the west you see your average appliances". This suggests to me that you are in a large room consisting of multiple locations and you need to move west to get to the appliances, south to the counter etc.
It might be clearer to say something like "The fridge, range and dishwasher are against the west wall".

Is the empty tin can supposed to be attached to the ground or did you just forget to make it dynamic?
saabie

Postby Samkid882 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:41 am

Yes, the tin can is supposed to be attached to the ground, if I had forgotten to make it dynamic, it would have said something like "You cannot take the tin can!" I also never said it was even close to playable, but you can play it "anyway".
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Wed May 02, 2012 6:00 am

To be honest, you're not doing yourself any favours by uploading unfinished demos like this. People want to play finished games, not something which you've barely even started writing.

And 16 separate commands to cook some eggs? That's the sort of thing which is going to bore the living daylights out of players. No one wants IF to be that monotonous. What's wrong with a simple cook eggs?
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Wed May 02, 2012 9:54 am

The title and introduction tell me very little. Nothing referred to in the introduction (house, rocks, shoes, sand, face) seems to be implemented. Please remember, you have an audience that doesn't know what your game looks like at all because we didn't script it. Please write deliberately.

There doesn't seem to be a way into the house, nor do I know why I'm outside when I start. This is enough to make most people quit.

I don't know what the score in the game represents or why the items I'm picking up increase it. Why don't the egg or the blank pieces of paper appear in my inventory after I take them? Where have they gone?

How are you expecting players to interact with and discover more about your writing? Do the things you have written have plots or are they set pieces? An interesting thing you might not know is that an IF player's first moves are often to try examining immediate surroundings (including >X ME to learn about the protagonist), check their inventory, examine everything in their inventory, and then perhaps move around. Since people will try examining things, it's important to have descriptions for them. You can use these to your advantage to tell players about the setting and let them know what's happening in the plot and most importantly what they should be doing.

You seem to have a lot of useless space in your games. Why? What is there to care about in the game, and what can be cut out? Think about these kinds of things next time before you write something.
Duncan_B

Postby Samkid882 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 am

It seems I've been getting allot of complaints.... I never forced anyone to play my (not even close to being finished) game. I just put it up there, anyways. Nothing wrong with that. Oh, and here's a more updated version of it.
Attachments
Indirect Influence.taf
(17.98 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby P/o Prune » Wed May 02, 2012 10:04 am

I, for one, don't want to play a game that is in progress...
David is quite right when he says that you're not doing yourself any favours by releasing unfinished games, Do you expect people to play your game over and over every time you've added a new room or an object?
We all want to help you, Tyler. Everyone here has an interest in seeing Adrift develop but the point isnt getting as many games out there as possible, the point is to get quality games out there.
Good luck with your game.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Samkid882 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:16 am

Thank you Po. Prune. I will post my game when it is finished.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Return to General IF