ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift 5 VIDEO TUTORIALS!!!

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Adrift 5 VIDEO TUTORIALS!!!

Postby Samkid882 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Yes, I've done it! I've created some video tutorials! But sadly have yet to add all of them to youtube. So far only the into is uploaded, but that will change in time. Oh, and btw, the audio is messed up on parts one and two, making it hard to hear my voice, but it fixed in parts three and beyond :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wvpI7W0ctE
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Re: Adrift 5 VIDEO TUTORIALS!!!

Postby David Whyld » Sat May 05, 2012 9:43 pm

It might help if you said what any of these did. "Tutorials" can mean pretty much anything.
David Whyld

Postby Samkid882 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 06, 2012 10:11 am

Damned it Tyler! what are you doing? Trying to scare people away from Adrift? :shock:

Creating a tutorial demo is not a bad idea. I'm sure that lots of people would find it very useful. But after having seen your youtube demos I found myself more confused than enlightened. If I saw this before using Adrift I would run away as fast as I could, screaming all the way.

A few points:
1:Your second demo is almost (if not) identical with your first. (Like David pointed out. What ARE you trying to demonstrate?)
2: Your cursor arrow is all over the place, moving so fast it's hard to see what you're actually pointing at.
3: Your vioce sounds like you're talking into a pillow (not all "Drifters" are American or English)
4: There's a terrible humming sound in the background
5: Your "demo" starts by showing a game in progress and then you erase it and start from scratch. (Why not start from scratch from the beginning?)
All in all my impression is that you got this idea and then jumped in head over heel instead of taking the time to think it over, plan the video before recording it.

Has any one else seen the demos? If so, what are your thoughts?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Sun May 06, 2012 10:55 am

I watched part 2 but didn't have a clue what was going on. The audio was very difficult to hear and from what I could see of the actual tutorial, it seemed to involve things like clicking on the "save" icon to save a game (which I figure people would realise on their own without needing to watch a tutorial) and clicking on "run adventure" icon to, well, run an adventure. It didn't strike me as the sort of tutorial that would be useful to anyone with an interest with ADRIFT.

Tyler, I understand you're enthusiastic about ADRIFT, but badly put together tutorials and demo games that haven't been finished aren't the best way to go about making an impression here.
David Whyld

Postby Samkid882 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:58 am

I'm thinking about starting over on my tutorials... I'm sure everyone else will think that that is a good idea.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Samkid882 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:03 am

Ah yes, just deleted those videos as fast as I could. Now to start making some new ones...

@Po. Prune:
I can't really help the humming sound in the background... my microphone is also a usb webcam (Nameless brand, and cheap) that I got for Christmas. So it records everything in my room. Also, my computer is VERY loud... so... yeah...
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Samkid882 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:28 am

I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 06, 2012 5:45 pm

David Whyld wrote:I watched part 2 but didn't have a clue what was going on. The audio was very difficult to hear.

The new uploaded isn't much better. (being VERY polite here! :wink: )
I have asked a couple of friends from the Danish equivilant of MI6 to try and translate the code. Their first report was that it appears to be some KGB code used in the beginning of the cold war. rofl
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby NickyDude » Sun May 06, 2012 6:03 pm

I must admit that while creating a video tutorial is a great effort, the tutorial didn't inspire me at all, the sound is muffled and you seemed to be clicking quickly and not really explaining, for example, you show the 'hard way' to link locations but don't say how you brought up the Location dialogue box. Instead of just doing it 'your way' it really would be worth explaining the different ways you can enter and change locations and exits and let the viewer decide.

The sound really is the first thing you should tackle though and it would be worth getting better microphone.

Don't take this to heart, it's great you're creating tutorials, they just need to be better.

:)
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Samkid882 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:46 pm

New microphone is a good idea... hmm... perhaps I could explain stuff a little better...
Tell you what, what do you want me to teach you? I've actually learned quite a lot from the wiki and the forums, believe me...
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Mon May 07, 2012 7:56 am

No offence, but considering you're the person who's been bombarbing the forum with dozens of questions about how to use ADRIFT, your're probably the last person who should be writing tutorials explaining to other people how to use it. Why not just focus on finishing a game?
David Whyld

Postby Samkid882 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:31 am

Here's the game I'm currently working on...

THE STORY:
You awaken in the world of Makerave. Makerave is a world similar to ours, but filled with trolls, ghouls, and twisted monsters. There are seldom amounts of people in the world of Makerave, but you continue on your quest to find someone anyway. In the world of Makerave, time is different. There is no am nor pm, because it's either the sun is always rising, or it is always setting. There is no snow, just rain, as it is always exactly 76.9 degrees farenheit. There is no wind here in the world of makerave, so footprints stay there forever. Why is there no wind? Perhapes it's because the world is flat, so it never moves. Cloads are yellow and red because of the sun reflecting light off of them, and since the world is flat, it never... ever ends... unless... far, far to the north, east, south, and west oceans... there have been tales in books and poems of never-ending waterfalls... where the world ends...

HOW TO PLAY:
To move, type "Go *direction*. The directions are north, south, east, and west. The game is meant to be played with the map and graphics OFF. To view your health, type "health", or you can type "HP" or "Health Points". Same with stamina being "SP", level being "LVL, and armor rating being "AR". You also have something called action points ("AP"), which are points you gain every level. Use action points to execute a strong attack, dealing major damage to your opponent. To use an action point, type "Use Action Point on *character name*. To view your skills, type "skills", to view your statistics, type "stats" or "statistics". If your curious on what an object is, or what an enemy is, type "what is *object/character name*", and the game will give you a detailed description. If your curious on what a skill does, type "what does *skill* do", and the game will tell you. To restore your stamina, type "sleep" or "sleep on *object*". You can sleep on the floor anywhere in the game, but beware, you may catch hypothermia or have a nightmare. How do you catch hypothermia when it's always 76.9 degrees? That's just one of the mysterious ways Makerave works. To restore your health, eat or drink an object. Drinking health potions and stamina potions will increase your health and stamina to the maximum level. If your health is already full, you will not be able to eat or drink anything. The game also has it's own time system, like said in the story. To view the time, type "what time is it" or just type in "time" or "t". Waiting kills one minute of your time, which can be used for time puzzles. To wait, type in "Wait" or "Z". You also level up in the game. Leveling up increased your maximum health and stamina. To level up, simply play the game for a certain amount of time, and the game will tell you if you level up. When your health reaches 0, you will die. When your stamina reaches 0, you will not be able to move. That's all for now. Good luck on your adventure!
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Mon May 07, 2012 5:31 pm

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
David Whyld

Postby Samkid882 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm Batman
Samkid882

Next

Return to General IF