ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift 5 VIDEO TUTORIALS!!!

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Adrift 5 VIDEO TUTORIALS!!!

Postby Duncan_B » Tue May 08, 2012 5:27 am

Samkid: As much as I would love to imagine your posts are in good faith, you strain my patience and your own credibility. Do not troll this forum.
Duncan_B

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 08, 2012 7:22 am

Duncan_B wrote:Samkid: As much as I would love to imagine your posts are in good faith, you strain my patience and your own credibility. Do not troll this forum.

Seconded!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm very, very sorry. I didn't mean to troll at all! I HATE trolls! All I'm trying to do is help people out, why can't anyone see that? I assure you that I do not mean to troll, but if you take it as trolling, then so be it...
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Duncan_B wrote:Samkid: As much as I would love to imagine your posts are in good faith, you strain my patience and your own credibility. Do not troll this forum.

??? What have I done then ask a few innocent questions? Yeah I've uploaded some pretty bad demos, but I won't anymore, just like I told Po. Prune!
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Lazzah wrote:

Seconded!

Like I told Duncan, I don't see how I am trolling, or straining anyone's patience. All I wanted to do is help people out with my video tutorials! The last thing I want to do is turn these forums into a 4-Chan, which is a war-zone filled with trolls...
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby P/o Prune » Tue May 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Well. For starters, stop posting 1 million posts answering one remark. It's not forbidden to answer several posts in the same reply.
You could very easily have answered Duncan, and Lazzah in the same reply (copy / paste you know)

As for helping people out. It's very kind of you. But so far you have released some pretty bad demos and a couple of horrible tutorials.
Quite honestly Tyler, how do you expect people to take you seriously when, so far, your releases has been horrible, (to put it mildly)
Although very admirable, I honestly don't think you're the right person (yet) to teach anyone anything about Adrift V.5. There are Drifters here who have been working with the V.5 from the first Alpha version, and they are still having problems.

My advice? Lean back, take it easy. Take a look at some of the other V.5 games and then slowly.. and i DO mean slowly start creating your own game. Start with a small easy game to learn the ropes.... You'll be amazed. :wink:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Thank you Po. Prune, you always stand up for people like me, which is a very kind personal trait. I will indeed take your advice and create some games and learn how to use Adrift 5 more before making any more video tutorials, even if they're only beginner's tutorials. Notice I also changed my profile pic, as I noticed the old one stood for troll lol.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Tyler, read what PO Prune has told you and take note. I have been using ADRIFT v.5 for over a year now and while I now know enough to hopefully produce a good adventure, I certainly do not consider myself competent enough to produce a video tutorial. Stick to learning how to use ADRIFT and stop trying to give the impression that you are a knowledgable user. I know you are only trying to help people, but in the long run you are not.

I had a quick look at your game "Car Theft Sim" and have some comments to make about it:

Firstly, don't "shout", i.e. write the location texts and messages in block capitals. It makes your game look amateurish and like something out of the 1980's.

Secondly, do not use any capital letters in the command lines of your General Tasks.

Thirdly: I don't care much for the scenario, i.e. an adventure where you perform a criminal act. Are you saying car theft is OK? It's bad enough that there are games such as Grand Theft Auto out there (which may have inspired your game?) without this sort of thing making it's way into the IF world.

Fourth: What the hell is a Slim Jim? From your descriptive message I assume it is something eatable, but for those of us who have never come across a "Slim Jim", a litle more info would not go amiss.

HTH.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:13 pm

A Slim Jim is an extremely greasy piece of beef jerky. but very soft. One of my fav snacks is a Slim Jim :)

And no, I'm not saying car theft is okay. I hate crime.
Also, GTA did not inspire that game, Car Thief 6: Night Crime did. I have the full game on my computer.

One more thing, didn't you like anything about my game? Did you finish it?
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Samkid882 wrote: A Slim Jim is an extremely greasy piece of beef jerky. but very soft. One of my fav snacks is a Slim Jim :)

Well you need to put that in the description message....although not the bit about it being one of your fav snacks! Well, actually you could say that, it would inject a bit of humour into the game.

Samkid882 wrote:And no, I'm not saying car theft is okay. I hate crime.
Also, GTA did not inspire that game, Car Thief 6: Night Crime did. I have the full game on my computer.

Maybe you should stop playing games like that, they are obviously having a bad influence on you!

Samkid882 wrote:One more thing, didn't you like anything about my game? Did you finish it?

Well no, as I said the storyline put me off, I have no desire to play an adventure where I am commiting a crime. Why can't you write a good old fashioned "dungeons & dragons" type game? I might be more inclined to play it, maybe even playtest if for you if you promise to stop putting those tutorial videos on YouTube. :whistle:
Lazzah

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Lazzah wrote:
Samkid882 wrote:One more thing, didn't you like anything about my game? Did you finish it?

Well no, as I said the storyline put me off, I have no desire to play an adventure where I am commiting a crime. Why can't you write a good old fashioned "dungeons & dragons" type game? I might be more inclined to play it, maybe even playtest if for you if you promise to stop putting those tutorial videos on YouTube. :whistle:

I will stop putting the videos up only for a while (say a year or two), just until I get the hang of adrift a bit better. And I currently am creating a game that is "dungeons and dragons" like you said, called Morphid! I had to scrap Makerave because it got too complected, but morphid is even better! It's an RPG text based game, with health, stamina, hunger, thirst, magika, trolls, lurkers, and of course, dungeons! All of that deep immersive stuff!
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 08, 2012 5:40 pm

I played your game and found it was awful. Sorry, but it was. First of all, I really didn't care for the subject matter, and yes I've played Grand Theft Auto and yes it's fun to run around blowing the heads off hookers and running down people in the street, but I really don't think a text adventure version of that kind of thing would be much fun at all. Second of all, it was a demo. Another one. If you're going to persist in uploading demos which you've spent all of an hour or less working on, without any real improvement from one to the next, then expect people to react negatively. Car Theft Demo was every bit as bad as The Tree and carries all the hallmarks of someone who hasn't learnt a damn thing.

You're not meant to write a game in an hour, or two hours, or three hours (unless it's a speed IF written for a mini-comp or something similar). Expect to spend weeks or even months writing a game. Anything less than a few weeks, especially with a system which you clearly don't have a very good grasp of, is just a disaster waiting to happen.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Sounds exciting. But be careful... If you want to create an Adrift RPG, you will really need to get the grips of events, and especially variables. It's quite a mouthful.
I'm noty saying you shouldn't do it, but be prepared that it will take time.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Po. Prune: I'm very used to variables and tasks, but not so much on events. And I am prepared for a challenge...

David: I agree with you. Car Theft was truly AWFUL. It was a rushed project and nothing else, and there's no way I'll ever post it on the Adrift website. However, it was a finished project, not a demo. I just wanted other people's opinions before I posted it on the Adrift website.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Samkid882 wrote:
Lazzah wrote:

I will stop putting the videos up only for a while (say a year or two), just until I get the hang of adrift a bit better. And I currently am creating a game that is "dungeons and dragons" like you said, called Morphid! I had to scrap Makerave because it got too complected, but morphid is even better! It's an RPG text based game, with health, stamina, hunger, thirst, magika, trolls, lurkers, and of course, dungeons! All of that deep immersive stuff!

What you need to do more than anything else right now is stop trying to write an epic and concentrate on something more achievable. And stop telling everyone about your amazing new work in progress, only to abandon it the next day. Makerave is, what? The 5th or 6th different game idea you've had in the last fortnight, and yet after posting those nasty looking walls of text about it yesterday, you've now abandoned it on the grounds that it was too complicated, only to immediately regale us with stories of your new game, which actually sounds remarkably similar to your old one. Being enthusiastic about a new idea is one thing, telling the world every time you press a key is another.
David Whyld

PreviousNext

Return to General IF