ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift 5 VIDEO TUTORIALS!!!

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Adrift 5 VIDEO TUTORIALS!!!

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Samkid882 wrote:
Lazzah wrote:
Samkid882 wrote:One more thing, didn't you like anything about my game? Did you finish it?

Well no, as I said the storyline put me off, I have no desire to play an adventure where I am commiting a crime. Why can't you write a good old fashioned "dungeons & dragons" type game? I might be more inclined to play it, maybe even playtest if for you if you promise to stop putting those tutorial videos on YouTube. :whistle:

I will stop putting the videos up only for a while (say a year or two), just until I get the hang of adrift a bit better. And I currently am creating a game that is "dungeons and dragons" like you said, called Morphid! I had to scrap Makerave because it got too complected, but morphid is even better! It's an RPG text based game, with health, stamina, hunger, thirst, magika, trolls, lurkers, and of course, dungeons! All of that deep immersive stuff!

I would be even more put off by an RPG text based game as you describe above. Don't you get it? ADRIFT is designed for writing INTERACTIVE FICTION, otherwise known as text adventures, not RPG based games with all this "deep immersive stuff". If you want to produce that kind of game, why don't you look at this website: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/ It looks as if it could be just the thing you are looking for.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:22 pm

I have RPG Maker XP and I do use it occasionally, but Adrift is still my fav. By RPG I mean role-playing game. Technically, most Interactive Fiction games are RPGs. Or at least I think so... I know Zork was, at least...

But you will like my game, none the less, trust me, it's not overly complicated...
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 08, 2012 11:35 pm

I think you might find IF has moved on quite a bit from the days of Zork.
David Whyld

Postby Samkid882 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm old fashioned
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Lazzah » Wed May 09, 2012 7:27 am

Samkid882 wrote: By RPG I mean role-playing game.

I do know what RPG means, thank you.

Samkid882 wrote:Technically, most Interactive Fiction games are RPGs.

Err...no, they are not.

Samkid882 wrote:But you will like my game, none the less, trust me, it's not overly complicated...

Somehow, I doubt that very much.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Samkid882 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:00 am

Well, if you think you won't like it, you don't have to play it. You just will be missing out on it, that's all.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby ralphmerridew » Wed May 09, 2012 1:06 pm

IF might be a "dictionary RPG", in that it generally will be a Game in which you Play a Role, but that would dilute the meaning of "RPG" so much that virtually every computer game would be an RPG. Generally, RPG refers to games with explicit statistics and randomized combat. I'd say that "Beyond Zork" and "Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom" are the only IF-RPG games that I really enjoyed. (Some people liked "Magocracy", but it didn't impress me much.)

Really, if you're going to make an RPGS, strongly consider using RPG Maker or Blades of Avernum, or some other system specialized for RPGs over an IF-centric platform.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Samkid882 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Ralph: I really enjoy making RPGs in Adrift 5 and I find it to be very simple. A few events, the occasional variable, and tons of tasks, and you have quite an RPG in your hands...
Lazzah: RPG can be a type of IF, it's called TBRPG (Text-Based Role-Playing Game), and like Ralph said, there have been some rather good TBRPGs. Infact, I've never heard of Beyond Zork, so I might give it a try, since the Zork series are my fav IF games.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Samkid882 wrote:I really enjoy making RPGs in Adrift 5 and I find it to be very simple.

When you actually get a game finished - and I don't mean some one room game where you're attempting to break into a car where the guess the verb is so bad it's almost fatal, or a 50 room game where 49 of the rooms don't serve any real purpose - then I'll believe it's very simple for you. So far you've made almost every newbie mistake it's possible to make - badly done demos, tutorials that only confuse people, new game ideas posted one day then abandoned the next - with your only redeeming features being that you're enthusiastic and seem to be able to handle criticism. Making an RPG might seem simple, but I think you're soon discover that to make a good one, it's anything but simple.
David Whyld

Postby Samkid882 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:34 pm

David: I respect your advice, and when I finish this game, before posting it to the adrift adventures page, I'll post it on the forums first, so I can get suggestions on what else I can do to improve my RPG.

Btw, what is your opinion on TBRPGs? I believe that, when created by the right person, they can be hours and hours of fun.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 pm

I don't have an opinion as such because that's the first time I've ever heard that phrase.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu May 10, 2012 12:50 am

TBRPG probably is "text-based RPG".

And while I listed two TBRPGs I considered good, there are far more that are bad. There seems to be a very bad tendency to make them big and bland.

(Samkid hasn't been around for long enough to remember, but TBRPGs have acquired a bad reputation after Paul Allen Panks repeatedly wrote big, bland, interchangable TBRPGs.)
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Samkid882 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 pm

David: TBRPG stands for Text Based Role Playing Game.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby P/o Prune » Thu May 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Samkid882 wrote:David: TBRPG stands for Text Based Role Playing Game.

Tyler... I think he got it the first time when ralphmerridew answered the post. 8)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu May 10, 2012 7:20 pm

I'd honestly never heard the term Text Based Role Playing Game before but I understand the general principle. Dungeons and Dragons as a text adventure, right?

Unfortunately, the only TBRPG I've ever played that was good was Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom (which, incidentally, is pretty damn amazing and I'd recommend everyone give it a shot); the rest tend to be disappointing. I don't really think randomised combat works well in a text adventure, or any repetitive combat for that matter, because reading the same few lines of text over and over again gets very boring very quickly. Combat in graphical games is a whole different thing as you seldom glance at the text when you have all these pretty pictures to look it. However, while ToaSK proved that it can work in a text adventure, I'm not sure it's ever going to be something I'd want to play a lot of, and the game itself would have to be something special for me to put up with randomised combat.
David Whyld

PreviousNext

Return to General IF