ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Authenticy Undefined

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Authenticy Undefined

Postby Samkid882 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 pm

...it was only a friendly opportunity. I'm a very nice guy... I don't understand why you dislike me so much.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Lhetre » Sun May 20, 2012 3:41 pm

trailers are supposed to arise interest in whatever you are doing, this is not a trailer, it is a cryptical concept nobody will understand if you don't explain it for a few hours - sorry for being so blunt - you should make your concept a wee bit less cryptic

at the beginning I thought it was all a joke, and I had a good laugh, but you seem so serious, no hard feelings :wink:
Lhetre

Postby ralphmerridew » Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 pm

David Whyld wrote:
Samkid882 wrote:David: Deal agreed. David, I have a proposition... how about we all unite and create one big video game. That way I can learn what is right and wrong. But, I'm assuming you'll turn down my proposition because you and everyone else on these forums hate me dearly. Am I right? I'm REALLY REALLY sorry for all of that nonsense I've posted earlier! The unfinished demos, the poorly made video tutorials, please forgive me! I promise I'll do better!

You're damn right I'd turn you down. You're the worse thing that's happened to this forum in years, and as for the idea of me writing a game with you? Dear God no. I'd sooner collaborate with Pudlo. (And if you are Pudlo, well done. Consider me trolled.)

It's very unlikely Samkid882 is Pudlo. Remember Gamlet? Pudlo's skills are top-notch.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Now I'm intrigued - who were Pudlo and Gamlet?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Jacek Pudlo is IF's most notorious troll. He trolled RAIF/RGIF for over a decade and recently started doing the same thing over on the Intfiction forums. He has a tendency to single out certain prominent members of the IF community and post insulting things about them under a variety of usernames. Gamlet is a game he wrote for the IFComp some years back, which was actually better than you'd expect considering the damage he's done to the IF scene over the years.

For what it's worth, I don't think Samkid is Pudlo. I'm sure if Pudlo did show up here with the intention of trolling, he wouldn't pick something quite as obvious as the clueless newbie.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Wed May 23, 2012 12:40 am

Samkid strikes me as closer to Panks: quite sincere, but the abilities aren't up to it.

My advice:
1) Write a game set in your house, workplace, school, or wherever. Finish it. (Optionally, find some people and ask for feedback, but make sure they know what step 2 is.)
2) Delete that game. There! You've gotten the really awful ideas out of your system.
3) Start your real game, and finish it.
4) Seek serious feedback on that game.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby MileStyle » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:39 pm

ralphmerridew wrote:My advice:
1) Write a game set in your house, workplace, school, or wherever. Finish it. (Optionally, find some people and ask for feedback, but make sure they know what step 2 is.)
2) Delete that game. There! You've gotten the really awful ideas out of your system.
3) Start your real game, and finish it.
4) Seek serious feedback on that game.

Best advice ever.

I sometimes wonder if the slew of poor games is not so much down to a hasty eagerness to make a game, get it out there, and get the inevitably negative feedback. It perhaps all begins with someone wanting to create a game albeit having none of the skills one would expect in game creation, be they programming, graphics, or otherwise. No doubt some Google searches bring them to an adventure creation kit, such as ADRIFT, and they jump in blindly, not quite understanding what a text adventure is in the first place. To this end, I expect that most authors of these poor games are younger users, perhaps stuck in the bedroom because it's raining outside, and so turns to the internet for entertainment. They download the kit, fart about for half an hour with it, and upload their efforts: so what? No need to give a hard time. Being a young user they are missing probably the most important aspect that keeps us returning to text adventures in the first place: nostalgia for the genre.
What, can the Devil speak true?
MileStyle

Postby Driftwood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm with you 100% on that. We who remember the thrill of playing the Infocom games and suchlike of yesteryear have a natural incentive and desire to produce something similar or even better. For someone who has never even heard of IF before doesn't have the same feeling for creating the games that we yearn for.
I asked a young lad once if he'd ever heard of Infocom. His reply was, "I'm with Vodafone at the moment, what are their call rates?".
I rest my case. :|
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
Driftwood

Previous

Return to General IF