ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

"Useless" testers

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: "Useless" testers

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:58 am

Mystery wrote: And if you wanted to arrange to compensate someone for their time - you could probably interview them in such a way as if you were interviewing someone for a job.

Funny you should say that as my first playtester refused to answer the question "Are you male or female?" I asked the person when s/he first offered to playtest as s/he did not consider it to be a job interview! I am still unsure what gender s/he is! (Female I think)

Mystery wrote:Requesting a history of their experience, experience with the software, and providing references whom you could contact.

My wife, who is a schoolteacher, has told me that the reason so many of these volunteers have not replied after my initial reply to their playtest offer could be that I am being too formal with them. I have just received a new offer to playtest, so I am going to try to be more casual in my approach to this guy.

Mystery wrote:Compensation could be anything from a $5 gift certificate

Now THAT is a great idea, thanks.

Mystery wrote:Have you tried requesting testers at places other than here? Or asking for recommendations for reliable testers on other IF venues?

I have posted a requests for playtesters on game-testing.org and the intfiction forum, any ideas where else I might ask?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Mystery » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:25 pm

If you had wanted to do something along the lines of monetary compensation, you could go through a site such as http://www.freelancer.com/. But you most definitely would need to have something prepared before hand to explain where to do download the software, how IF works, how to play, and some basics of how testing works. (Honestly, it'd be great if something like this were integrated into the main site to make it simple, and a great reference to send those who want to learn how to test etc.

Anyway, I've done work for others through this site, which has lead to many other freelance jobs off the record. Some other countries consider something like this to be more of a mechanical job and pay at a rate of $2.50 an hr (which is considered a decent amount in their country)- if done hourly or offer compensation by the job. What is good about this site, is it helps make things a little more secure so you're not paying for a service you're not getting, and on their end it gives them a little more security that they're going to get paid for their work.

It's an alternative- maybe not one that would normally be considered, but I don't see why it could work. You can look into it more if you like. If v5 ever gets out of beta and completed and I can get mine done, I do plan on going through here too.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm

:wink:
Thanks Myst. I'll give it a go.. I'm looking for someone to do the artwork on my next game and this is a great way to look for artists.
The problem with most talented people is that they are (unfortunately) aware of their talent and there fore your project may end up costing quite a lot of money... :(
Not that I don't agree that they should be rewarded for their time and trouble mind you.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Mystery » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 pm

What, no stick figures? You never know what you'll find though. I keep trying to hop on when you're about, but always seem to miss you by just a couple minutes. Hope to catch you soon.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Turing » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:32 am

Po. Prune wrote::wink:
Thanks Myst. I'll give it a go.. I'm looking for someone to do the artwork on my next game and this is a great way to look for artists.
The problem with most talented people is that they are (unfortunately) aware of their talent and there fore your project may end up costing quite a lot of money... :(
Not that I don't agree that they should be rewarded for their time and trouble mind you.

Good, dependable, free. Pick two ;)

Also, the topic of a "naming list", no matter how polite or impolite you make it, it's my opinion that such a thread won't do any good in regards to testers getting better at returning feedback- Useless testers will stay useless and non-useless testers might think twice before offering to test, fearing that they end up on the list if some prevents them from working.
I realise its annoying to have people offer to assist and then not deliver, but putting up what will essentially become a smear-thread won't do the community any favours.

Instead, how about you put up a "Game Developer Venting" thread, where can complain about whatever issues they have, without actually naming names :)
Turing

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Hmm you are probably right...
I will keep the "list" to myself .... I'm not complaining about them dropping out of the testing. The thing that I think it irritating is that they can't even be bothered to let you know that they are quitting.
Like Larry said earlier, it's ok if the game isn't to their liking after all, but have the courtesy to let the author know.

Quoting Emily Short:
If you have to stop, let the author know.

It’s not at all infrequent for a tester to find herself swamped for time and unable to finish testing a game. If you’re testing, you’re doing so at your own option, and there’s no shame attached to quitting — either because you’re busy, or because the game is not to your taste. (If you really dislike a game, you’re unlikely to be a good tester for it anyway: too much of the process requires goodwill on your part. It’s one thing to find a work flawed but intriguing — that you can work with. If you don’t think you’ll ever like it however well-executed it is, though, you should think about putting it aside and working on something else.)

If you do quit, you should let the author know that you’ve decided not to go on so that he can find a replacement tester. Simply ceasing to send reports may leave the author in an uncomfortable limbo position.

Anyway.. the idea of making a list is hereby abandonned... :wink:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General IF