ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Sudden death in games

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Sudden death in games

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:59 am

I need a bit of advice here.
I’m redoing D-Day and would like to know what people think about “sudden” death in a game.
Since it’s a game about the invasion in Normandy and at Omaha Beach at that, it goes without saying that dying will play a major part in the game.

One of the golden rules of IF is that you don’t kill the player right away but allow him/her to be caught by the game. The problem in this case is that the game begins at the beach and as history has told us, it was a pretty dangerous place to say the least.

My plan is to set up the game so as long as the player moves on the beach s/he will have a certain percentage chance of getting killed. Say in the range of 25 to 50%. Would that be acceptable or do you think the player will drop the game?
I will hurry and say that there is of course a way to move safe from the beach, and there are clues pointing towards that.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Sudden death in games

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:15 am

Po. Prune wrote:I need a bit of advice here.
I’m redoing D-Day and would like to know what people think about “sudden” death in a game.
Since it’s a game about the invasion in Normandy and at Omaha Beach at that, it goes without saying that dying will play a major part in the game.

One of the golden rules of IF is that you don’t kill the player right away but allow him/her to be caught by the game. The problem in this case is that the game begins at the beach and as history has told us, it was a pretty dangerous place to say the least.

My plan is to set up the game so as long as the player moves on the beach s/he will have a certain percentage chance of getting killed. Say in the range of 25 to 50%. Would that be acceptable or do you think the player will drop the game?
I will hurry and say that there is of course a way to move safe from the beach, and there are clues pointing towards that.

I think that, in this case, if you make it plain in the prologue that the PC is going straight onto a landing beach where instant death in the form of machine gun bullets and mortar bombs, etc, is highly likely, then the player should not be too surprised if they get killed off quite quickly. If it is right at the start of the game, they only have to restart and try again. If anyone complains, tell 'em to like it or lump it! :)
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Sudden death in games

Postby Turing » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:38 am

Personally, I don't think that idea sounds very fun Prune.
Having sudden death if you make the wrong choices, sure. Having a risk of sudden death even if you make the right choices, now that's just an annoying design choice.
Turing

Return to General IF