ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Is Anyone Still Writing ADRIFT Games?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Is Anyone Still Writing ADRIFT Games?

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Well, it's now over halfway through the year and the main site has a grand total of two ADRIFT games released this year. Yes, two. Both by newcomers, both awful.

There was a time a few years back when if we'd reached the halfway mark of the year and had less than a dozen games released, it would have been considered a dry patch as far as released were concerned. But now we have seven months and two new games, none by long-standing members of the community.

Is anyone still writing ADRIFT games these days? Are we all holding 'em back for the IFComp? Is everyone waiting for ADRIFT 5 to finally be given a non-beta release?
David Whyld

Re: Is Anyone Still Writing ADRIFT Games?

Postby Campbell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Do you think it makes a difference that the main site no longer shows games/reviews on the front page?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Also, there have been 11,639 downloads of ADRIFT since I uploaded v5 to download.com, 253 of those within the last week.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:48 pm

I've had a game ready for some time now. But I want to make sure everything works before I release it.
One of the reasons I continued David's topic about games in progress was so fellow Drifters could announce their progress in their work. Unfortunately it isn'being used much :cry:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 pm

I have a game i am slowly working on, a Sci-fi story yet to have a title. And there was that Adrift community Elevator project idea i tried to launch a while back but that seemed to flame out quickly. I can't see why it couldn't be restarted but perhaps with limitations (ie. five rooms only sort of thing) to keep it small and people will be more likely to finish their piece. I think it might of seemed to ambitious or alot of work. I still have the first floor and elevator system working. And with now modules being able to have a user name their prefix key it will be possible to graft in other floors as they are made.
DazaKiwi

Postby Hensman Int'l » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:01 am

I do have games that keep calling for me to work on, but lately the J.O.B. has been frying my brain and all I seem to do is stare at the screen. :| :fart: :x I need another vacation! :nerves:
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 pm

David,

As always it's good to hear from you. I've been on a bit of a communication short during a vacation home to visit family. The shortest answer to the question of this post is: yes.

At the risk of sounding pendantic, I wish to point out that your complaint ignores the 8 games (1/8 being yours) released at the beginning of February as part of the January Flash Fiction Compilation included with InsideADRIFT #41 (which is listed in the "Competitions" section of the Adventures page). I will assume it rightfully ignores Samkid (who never completed a game), instead calling terrible the two games released on the Adventures page, by Shaun Acer and S11m0niC. However, this still ignores Makers Local and the Transdimensional Margarita Blender.

ADRIFT has published 4 fresh authors this year (ignoring Samkid). We might do well to encourage them by reaching out via PM. They may not be in the habit of checking the Forum, but PMs will ping their e-mail which they likely check more often. We may also wish to poke newcomers Peechiz and Teruka about their work.

As for myself, I'm still working on Irvine Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea, which Finn is helping me beta-test for IFComp as per your earlier advice. Finn is also saving his work for IFComp. I also still have a module ready to be imported for the Elevator Game, whenever the organizer is ready. Upon return from my vacation tomorrow I'm beginning a job and apartment search, but hope in that time to also re-release the collaboration version of Back Home that I've been working on with revgiblet.

Cheers, mate.
-DB
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Well, I did mean full size games though I realise my post didn't specify as much. To be honest I'd never even heard of Makers Local and the Transdimensional Margarita Blender, though that, too, looks like a very short game.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Planning on writing a review? :-)
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Think I'll pass on this one.
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm not planning anything in ADRIFT myself. Can't say I'm holding back for the IFComp either. ADRIFT 5 in beta doesn't stop me, if I was bothered I would write in 4. I've got a couple of Inform7 games underway but no real plans to release anything.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:39 am

David Whyld wrote:Well, I did mean full size games though I realise my post didn't specify as much.

What is the difinition of the term "full size game"?

Oh, and Duncan...
Good to see you back here. I hope you enjoyed your stay with the family.
Finn is also saving his work for IFComp.

With the risk of starting up the old discussion regarding the IFComp, I'm not planning on entering the IFComp. I don't like the new rule for reasong well covered elsewhere. (But I wish any one entering all the best of luck)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:57 am

Po. Prune wrote:What is the difinition of the term "full size game"?

Now that is a good question.

As a start, generally a game which wasn't written for a Speed Comp. Nothing wrong with Speed Comps, I've still got some favourites amoungst the old 3 hour competitions. But for me a game is a 'proper game' if it is something you can play for a couple of hours and not finish.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:46 pm

I generally count a full size game as something that isn't intended to be finished in a single go, specifically not a game written for a speed comp or similar. Though I suppose if you do that, then both of the new games released this year on the main site wouldn't count, either. Meaning we've yet to see a single full size ADRIFT game released this year.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:46 am

I have a full-size adventure ("The Fortress of Fear") which I hope will be ready for release this year. It is definitely not a game that can be completed in one session!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Next

Return to General IF