ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Is Anyone Still Writing ADRIFT Games?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Is Anyone Still Writing ADRIFT Games?

Postby rotter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:22 am

So, not too much happening then.

V5 will be great when finished but for me I still love V4. With the right game we can get a good showing in the IFComp and competitions. For me the problem is that no enough people on this forum player IF. I have a large number of ADRIFT games in production which could be brought back to life, including my long awaited sequel to Unauthorized Termination called Incitement to Violence (well awaited by me anyway). But I'm not encouraged to write in ADRIFT as I believe hardly anyone will play them.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Campbell » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 am

So who plays the Inform 7 games?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Campbell wrote:So who plays the Inform 7 games?

Well, seems to be a little bit more talk about games being played over at intfiction.org and I'm sure we can get into a numbers game. But, the point is that if Drifters do not play our games we can't expect anyone else to. My last full size game entered here was Pestilence which came 2nd in the InsideAdrift Summer Comp 2006. Due to low voter turn out since then I've only entered my larger games in external comps such as the IFComp, SpringThing etc.

I've had more e-mails about my I7 port of Pathway To Destruction then I got from the ADRIFT original. I find this very depressing as I prefer the ADRIFT original (less buggy).

We need to find some way of getting Drifters to play IF as I do not believe they are (very happy to be proved wrong).
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:08 pm

I don't tend to play a lot of IF these days full stop. The last time I played much was during the IFComp last year and that was frustrating for the most part; too many games in such a short period of time meant I was quitting some before giving them a fair try. I doubt I'll bother this year (changes to the rules and whatnot have left me uninterested in the IFComp on the whole) so I'll just be playing whatever's new and takes my fancy. Which probably won't be a whole lot. To date this year, I've played two games, neither of which are ADRIFT: Anchorhead and Treasures of a Slavers Kingdom.

What's needed more than anything is for someone to release a big, well written, well designed ADRIFT game that might actualy get people talking. But with the current doldrums we're in now, I don't see that happening. Lots of new people seem to be asking how to do things in ADRIFT but not many people are writing games. Maybe that's the problem. V5 is just too complicated for a newcomer to easily pick it up, and V4 still carries its price tag.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:15 pm

I wish you'd give v5 a chance David - it's really not as complicated as you think.

I'd love to write a full game. I even have an idea for one. However, I can't really do that as well as work on the system.

So who has ideas for how to get more people playing? Should we create a recommended list of games to showcase on the main site?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 am

Campbell wrote:So who has ideas for how to get more people playing?

I still feel that social outreach and integration with the primary IF Community, including participation in IF-wide competitions, are our best ways to reach an audience. We may still congregate here, but the places where we need to stay visible and engaged to reach a wider audience are intfiction.org, IFDB, and ifmud.
Duncan_B

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 am

Campbell wrote:I'd love to write a full game. I even have an idea for one. However, I can't really do that as well as work on the system.

A full game from the author (developer) of V.5 would probably be a very good thing. Why can't you do both? Making a game with the V.5 wouild give you an excellent chance to find out what's needed (missing) in the developer. Sort of a dry run, so to speak.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 am

I can't argue with that...
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:01 am

Campbell wrote:I can't argue with that...

So it's settled then? 8)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:56 pm

I've had a look at ADRIFT 5 but I'm not sure it's for me. Everything seems to take more mouse clicks than before, and is a lot more long-winded, and deciding whether a task should be of one kind or another bugs me, and I can imagine in anything but a very short game this would annoy me no end. When I write games, I tend to write fast, and ADRIFT 4 allows me to do that. The same game written in ADRIFT 5 would, I'm sure, take a lot longer to write.

I can certainly see the advantages of 5 over 4, but for me the advantages of 4 over 5 outweigh them by quite a bit.
David Whyld

Postby razor77 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:02 pm

i must defend v5 it's in house alr parser system that allows for actual paragraph spacing is enough to put it heads and shoulders above 3.9 or 4.

You can still design games exactly the same way as before and yes i do write games (simulators) for personal use 4 of them in fact. Trouble is they are of adult nature and therefore will not be posted here.

I still question the need for specific task and wish there was a diferent if statement system but hands down v5 is the best.

razor77

ps. Campbell get that fix released will ya. ;) :)
razor77

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:51 pm

razor77 wrote:You can still design games exactly the same way as before and yes i do write games (simulators) for personal use 4 of them in fact. Trouble is they are of adult nature and therefore will not be posted here.

There is an AIF section in the forum you know... :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby BlueMaxima » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 am

I kind of have to agree with David on this one. ADRIFT 5 feels like I'm trying to pilot a giant, heavy mech with miniguns and missile launchers while ADRIFT feels like an AK mounted on a bicycle. Sure I can't do much with ADRIFT 4 compared to ADRIFT 5 but at least I'm able to move a bit faster.
BlueMaxima

Postby Campbell » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am

What is it about v5 that makes you feel like that?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:53 am

Maybe the lack of a "good" manual (like in the V.4) makes people feel that the V.5 is harder than the V.4
I was a bit at a loss when I first started using the V.5 but as I slowly progressed with my game I felt more and more confident.
If I came across something I wanted to do but didn't quite know how, I made a post in the forum. I don't think I've never asked for help in vain.

We are lucky. We have three experts in this forum and they are helpful beyond belief. Adriftse, Saabie and (of course) Campbell. Take advantage of their knowledge.

Admittedly, the V.5 is more complicated than V.4 and David is right that the time when the author could concentrate on the writing is passed. But with the V.5 the author gets so much more in terms of versatility.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IF