ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Is Anyone Still Writing ADRIFT Games?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Is Anyone Still Writing ADRIFT Games?

Postby NickyDude » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 am

We are lucky. We have three experts in this forum and they are helpful beyond belief. Adriftse, Saabie and (of course) Campbell. Take advantage of their knowledge.

And may be they should get together to write a manual? Perhaps creating a fully fledged adventure (including conversation, NPC, puzzles, etc) walkthough showing us step-by-step how it was created, the pitfalls they came across, variations on things, etc.. That would be one excellent read and there would be no doubt there would be many, many more users able to get to grips with V5.
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:33 am

I've also been one of those people who still prefers v4 at the moment. v5 is functional, but it does feel slow. I ran a little test to illustrate this in which I timed the respective start program and run adventure times of the two developers.

ADRIFT 4 loads in less than one second and can run an adventure from the Generator in about one second. ADRIFT 5 loads in about 23 seconds (sometimes it freezes at the splash screen and will take longer) and runs an adventure from the Developer in about 10 seconds. So ADRIFT 4 feels lighter, faster.

The last game I tried working on in v5 (and I still *do* try to work on things in it), I got annoyed at the default inventory message ("You are wearing nothing, and are carrying nothing.") and found that it couldn't be replaced by ALR. That's a real pity. It would be nice to start releasing games in v5 so we could have games playable in-browser, but I'm just not sure v5 is yet the way to give my games the best showing they can because I feel like I have to fight the defaults for creative control.

On a side note, would it ever be possible to get v4 games playable in-browser? Not asking people to download stuff just to play the games seems like an easy way to expand our audience. Easy theoretically, that is... I'm sure creating the in-browser Runner is more complicated than I can wrap my head around at 4:32 in the morning...
Duncan_B

Postby Campbell » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:58 am

Duncan_B wrote:I've also been one of those people who still prefers v4 at the moment. v5 is functional, but it does feel slow. I ran a little test to illustrate this in which I timed the respective start program and run adventure times of the two developers.

ADRIFT 4 loads in less than one second and can run an adventure from the Generator in about one second. ADRIFT 5 loads in about 23 seconds (sometimes it freezes at the splash screen and will take longer) and runs an adventure from the Developer in about 10 seconds. So ADRIFT 4 feels lighter, faster.
Perhaps I have a very different spec machine from you, but for me, a decent sized game takes about 9 seconds to load up in v5 Developer, and about 2 seconds to launch in v5 Runner.

EDIT - Are you loading a v4 game when you test this? ADRIFT 5 has to convert the game, which will take much longer.

The last game I tried working on in v5 (and I still *do* try to work on things in it), I got annoyed at the default inventory message ("You are wearing nothing, and are carrying nothing.") and found that it couldn't be replaced by ALR. That's a real pity. It would be nice to start releasing games in v5 so we could have games playable in-browser, but I'm just not sure v5 is yet the way to give my games the best showing they can because I feel like I have to fight the defaults for creative control.
I'll take a look at that.

On a side note, would it ever be possible to get v4 games playable in-browser? Not asking people to download stuff just to play the games seems like an easy way to expand our audience. Easy theoretically, that is... I'm sure creating the in-browser Runner is more complicated than I can wrap my head around at 4:32 in the morning...
Not natively, but Scare or Gargoyle may well have that functionality.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:51 pm

jAsea would allow playing v4 games in-browser, but I stopped maintaining that a decade ago, and may not support features of more recent games.

Alternately, you could use tAsea to convert the game to TADS and then host it with jetty.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Po. Prune wrote:But with the V.5 the author gets so much more in terms of versatility.

That's a good point, but what initially attracted me to ADRIFT in the first place - back in the ol' 3.9 days - was how simple and easy it was to use. I was aware that TADS, Inform and Hugo were more powerful, but that power came at the expense of a steep learning curve and there didn't seem to be any great need for me to have it. You could, literally, download ADRIFT and start writing your first game the same day; you couldn't do the same thing with the others, at least not without a background in coding. I never really saw the need to learn another system because the system I was using could do 99% of what I wanted it to do. Sure, there were times when I ran into problems that I bet TADS or Inform didn't suffer with so much (ambiguity issues mainly) but never so many problems that I ever seriously considered switching to them.

In short, I can do what I want with ADRIFT 4 and while there are certain things about it I'd like to see improved or changed, there's nothing so inherently wrong with it that I feel the need to make the change to ADRIFT 5.

Duncan_B. wrote:I've also been one of those people who still prefers v4 at the moment. v5 is functional, but it does feel slow. I ran a little test to illustrate this in which I timed the respective start program and run adventure times of the two developers.

I've noticed this, too. The V4 Generator loads in literally 1 second; V5 can take anything up to 20 seconds to load. I just timed them side by side. Even when I launched V5 first, gave it 10 seconds then launched V4, V4 is open and ready to use while V5 is still displaying the splash screen.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 am

So I take it from this thread that a full-sized v5 game has yet to materialize?

A pity, I was hoping to play one and then pop it open in the Generator to see what made it tick. I'm trying to get back into writing after a long hiatus, but add me to the list of those that are having unexpected trouble...I want to love v5 because it's so shiny and new but it makes me feel so stupid every time I try to use it. :(

I do understand it's still in beta, but I think the suggestion about integrated help would be a huge step forward, as well as Po's idea about Campbell himself writing a game. (What better way to test your own program, provide a proof of concept of what it's capable of, and give new authors a teaching tool to tinker around with in the Generator all at once?) :)
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:20 am

:shock:
Lumin, are you still around? Jeez.. I thought you had left us, got married and was raising 7 kids ... or something 8)
Hope you stay around this time, although I know that real life has a nasty way of butting in from time to time. Aaarggh
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:48 am

Lumin wrote:So I take it from this thread that a full-sized v5 game has yet to materialize?

A pity, I was hoping to play one and then pop it open in the Generator to see what made it tick.
There are a few I think. I re-did Jacaranda Jim in v5 to make use of many of the new features.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Po. Prune wrote::shock:
Lumin, are you still around? Jeez.. I thought you had left us, got married and was raising 7 kids ... or something 8)
Hope you stay around this time, although I know that real life has a nasty way of butting in from time to time. Aaarggh

No worries! I continue to have no life, I just work a lot and then blow my paychecks collecting games I never play on Steam. (Though earlier in the year I did briefly discover this weird bright place with like, plants and chickens and stuff on the other side of the back door before the heat and lovely West Nile carrying mosquitoes drove me back to my bedroom, I plan to reinvestigate in the fall.) Meanwhile I've been spending what time I have set aside for writing doing actual writing, of the ginormous fantasy novel variety...hoping to make it available on the Kindle eventually but right now I'm just happy to be making actual long term progress on a major project without getting side-tracked. I do still think about game design a lot though (I mean a lot, probably more than is healthy) so I've been revisiting ADRIFT and some old ideas I had. Not even trying to put together an actual game right now though, mostly I'm just making tiny files testing out various things.

Campbell wrote:There are a few I think. I re-did Jacaranda Jim in v5 to make use of many of the new features.

Cool, just downloaded it, and I see Po. Prune's got a v5 game too which I'll definitely check out.
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:58 pm

There has been at least one new, original, non-troll game written in ADRIFT 5-- Makers Local and the Transdimensional Margarita Blender, by Jeff Cotten (a.k.a. Omegix). This game was posted on IFDB, but not on the Adventures page.
Duncan_B

Previous

Return to General IF