ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Is there a way to host an Adrift game through the web?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Is there a way to host an Adrift game through the web?

Postby johnphoenix » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:18 am

I recently became interested in writing MUD's which are text based online multi user dungeon games. Having Adrift helps because i can create a mock up of the game in Adrift first before I program the game into the Mud. I thought wouldn't it be neat if i could do that just as easily with Adrift. Set the game up through a web host or home server via some kinda Adrift web interface. Is this possible?

I read some people think IF is dying but it's not really. I think it's just switching forms. MMO's are popular and the kicker is text based multi user dungeon games that either have their own game client or that are accessible through a web interface, are growing also along with the MMO's.
johnphoenix

Re: Is there a way to host an Adrift game through the web?

Postby Campbell » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:47 am

You can run ADRIFT games online using WebRunner (http://play.adrift.org.uk). I haven't released WebRunner, but am happy to do so if anyone wants to host it on their own servers. There is no interactivity between different players yet to make it an actual MUD, but it's something I may consider in the future.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby johnphoenix » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Why Campbell, WebRunner looks awesome. And it comes with an automapper!

How intense are it's system requirements in it's present form? Can you run if from a Linux or Windows home based server? That's what I'm doing with the Mud until I can see how popular it's going to be. I pay for a web host now but they don't do Muds. I plan to host from home then use a free Mud host then a paid host as the Mud warrants it.

For this Mud, I'm working in an environment that's already largely built and using a quick creation system to add my game items. I am learning LPC which is related to C for being able to modify the Muds core functions. How hard would it be for you to implement interactivity between players?

And most importantly.. How much will this cost me for either version.. the version as it stands now or the version with player interactivity?
johnphoenix

Postby Campbell » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:47 am

It would have to run on a Windows server with Ajax extensions. It wouldn't cost anything, but I'd need to create a setup for it.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby johnphoenix » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:10 am

Campbell, you're a kind and generous man, I don't care what the folks over at Inform say about you. (that was a joke).

I should be able to run it. My Windows 7 home web server is IIS with NetFramework 4, Asp.Net and Ajax extension support built in.

Even if it doesn't for some reason, Windows Server Hosting can be had for as little as $ 3.75 US dollars a month for 25 gigabytes of space and a 500 gigabyte a month limit on bandwidth. I doubt this server side app will be using anywhere near those limits.

I'd be happy to use the app when you have it ready. Thanks.

BTW, if you did take the time to make the app able to let mutli users interact with each other in the future, you would essentially have created a Windows mud system. This is something the windows world simply doesn't have a lot of. Most of them are Unix ports with binaries compiled for Windows use and there are a few Java Muds. You've got the most important part of the base systems of a mud already there in Adrift. It wouldn't take much more to make this Adrift WebRunner combo a full Mud. You could have a whole new product to offer to people. Whats most important here is you would have a mud that doesn't require learning a complicated scripting language or a programming language like C to build your game environment. That's something no mud has. Your's would be attractive because it would be the easiest. Muds are still around and they are popular with text game fans because gamers look at them like mini MMO's. The most popular Muds either have their own client or a web interface. I don't know if this is something you'd consider doing and you may have to look around at some Muds to get an idea if there is any extra functionality you may want to add, but I'm just giving you something to chew on.

To make a full fledged Mud, obvious things you would need to add are a database like mySQL lite for all your users and a save system. Perhaps an in world message system and a chat system for people needing help in the game. A way so other users can see who's on the system. A login with username and password. All that might be a bit much for you so you'd have to weigh the pros and cons to see if it's something you'd be interested in. I'd certainly understand if you didn't want to do it.
johnphoenix

Postby Mystery » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:12 pm

Campbell wrote:You can run ADRIFT games online using WebRunner (http://play.adrift.org.uk). I haven't released WebRunner, but am happy to do so if anyone wants to host it on their own servers. There is no interactivity between different players yet to make it an actual MUD, but it's something I may consider in the future.

Oooo, a MUD would be fun.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:59 am

Actually, Quest 4 had an option to run as a mud long ago. Guncho allows writing a mud under Inform 7. I don't think either of those systems allow for expanding the MUD from within the game, like most MUDs do.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby johnphoenix » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:22 am

ralphmerridew wrote:Actually, Quest 4 had an option to run as a mud long ago. Guncho allows writing a mud under Inform 7. I don't think either of those systems allow for expanding the MUD from within the game, like most MUDs do.

I know. I have looked into Quest 4 and they tell me it really isn't supported anymore. version 5.2 is out and it doesn't even have those multi-player features. Making Adrift have Mud functionality is just a pipe dream and since Campbell said " There is no interactivity between different players yet to make it an actual MUD, but it's something I may consider in the future." I figured I'd wait around not holding my breath though for that to happen LOL. I know if he ever did want to take the engine that far it would be a large task. Inform I don't like at all, that's why I'm using Adrift. LOL

I'll be content with the WebRunner when Campbell can get it ready - No rush, no pressure Campbell, you take your time on it. It's good enough to know that one day, you'll be able to release it for us.
johnphoenix

Postby Jin Sane » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Well this is just brilliant.

I remember thinking about how cool it'd be to run my creations on the web years ago.
Jin Sane

Return to General IF