ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Text Adventures

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Text Adventures

Postby Lumin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Campbell wrote:If anyone is good at web design, I'm very open to any assistance. :)

Unfortunately, I haven't designed a website since junior high and know pretty much zero about how it's done now, which is why I've always been hesitant to criticize this one until now.

But just off the top of my head, besides the colors which I've already mentioned, I think the Quest website has the right idea with having games prominently available on the main site as the first thing new visitors see. I've seen the idea of having an 'official' top ten list discussed here, call it 'Editor's Pick' or 'Campbell's Choice' or whatever you like, slap them in a row right above the 'What is Interactive Fiction' blurb, with pop-up descriptions and a nice image when you hover your mouse over them. Maybe put a package of them on the downloads page with the program itself even, so that a newbie's first experience with Adrift is a good one.

On the actual Adventures page, I noticed Fortress of Fear was uploaded with a picture. I didn't even know that was possible but it looks sooo much nicer than the standard .zip file image. If people made a habit of that and the site had a more eye-catching looking default one for older games or anyone who didn't bother it would massively improve the look of that page, at least.

Or, just disregard all that and take a look at this CYOA site I lurk at sometimes, it's simple and text only just like the Adrift site, but I've always liked the look at it....in fact if I ever actually sat down and made a writing site of my own I always intended to more or less rip it off. :whistle: Being able to sort games here by genre would be great too.

Also, just a random thought - I glanced at the 'Popular IF games' and noticed that AIF games are being uploaded now, which is fine, but you have to realize that sooner or later ALL the games on that list are going to be AIF because they're pretty much always going to have more downloads than standard IF. Having a 'Top Games by Genre' with AIF as just one listing would deal with that before it ever became an issue.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Lumin wrote:Also, just a random thought - I glanced at the 'Popular IF games' and noticed that AIF games are being uploaded now, which is fine, but you have to realize that sooner or later ALL the games on that list are going to be AIF because they're pretty much always going to have more downloads than standard IF. Having a 'Top Games by Genre' with AIF as just one listing would deal with that before it ever became an issue.

Hmmm... From a quick glance at the top ten list, I see we've got two perverts and a climax there already. (And actually "The Warlord, The Princess & The Bulldog" could sound like an AIF title if you didn't know what it was really about.) Maybe to play down the AIF angle, we should start releasing non-AIF games with AIF-sounding titles. It might encourage the less discerning members of the community to download them.
David Whyld

Postby Mystery » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:03 pm

O_o
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:44 pm

David Whyld wrote:Maybe to play down the AIF angle, we should start releasing non-AIF games with AIF-sounding titles.

ha... get ready for Sausage Comp!
Duncan_B

Previous

Return to General IF