ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Text Adventures

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Text Adventures

Postby Lazzah » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:22 pm

Turing wrote:It was a "joke". I know what a text adventure is :)

Oh, sorry. :blush:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:19 am

The good news is that http://www.adrift.co just hit #2 on http://www.google.com.au for "text adventures" :bravo:
First place was stolen by http://www.textadventures.co.uk :P
Unfortunately we seem to have slipped a bit on http://www.google.com, #49 :cry:
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:17 am

saabie wrote: The good news is that http://www.adrift.co just hit #2 on http://www.google.com.au for "text adventures"

Unfortunately it doesn't if you search that site from the UK! I just tried it and ADRIFT was in 60th place. :-(

However, if you type the URL www.textadventures.org into Google, ADRIFT is No.1 on the list as Campbell has registered that domain name for ADRIFT! :D

NICE ONE CAMPBELL!!!! :bravo: :claps:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:15 am

Was ADRIFT's standing on Google an issue in the past? I don't remember how I originally found ADRIFT, whether it was via a Google search or seeing it mentioned on a site or someone recommending it to me, but I don't ever recall having problems finding the site, and I don't see why this has changed now. Surely Quest registering the textadventures.co.uk domain name hasn't made that much difference?
David Whyld

Postby Turing » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 pm

What the various text-adventure enthusiasts should really do is share a site, with forums specific to the various technical details of the programs, but easily allowing for discussion across platforms for story-boarding and such.
Turing

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:29 pm

There's already that sort of thing at http://www.intfiction.org/forum/index.php but I can't imagine Campbell would want ADRIFT discussion to be lumped under the "other development systems" heading. The guy behind Quest probably wouldn't agree to that, either.

I agree there ought to be a central area for the IF community, though, if only so everyone with an interest in IF knows what is available. I remember seeing posts on RAIF years ago when people would ask which development system was best for them as a non-programmer, and they'd be hit with a variety of responses ranging from TADS to Inform to Alan to HUGO (none of which are really ideal if you're a non-programmer). ADRIFT barely got a mention.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:41 pm

David Whyld wrote:Was ADRIFT's standing on Google an issue in the past? I don't remember how I originally found ADRIFT, whether it was via a Google search or seeing it mentioned on a site or someone recommending it to me, but I don't ever recall having problems finding the site, and I don't see why this has changed now. Surely Quest registering the textadventures.co.uk domain name hasn't made that much difference?

Try entering "Text Adventures", "Text Adventure Program" or "Write Text Adventures" into Google and you will see what we are on about. If you were looking for a program with which to write a text adventure and had never heard of ADRIFT or Quest, entering any of those three phrases will get you links to Quest in the top 5, if not in the No.1 spot. This is why there seems to be so much Quest activity as opposed to ADRIFT. Potential writers will find Quest and may never hear about ADRIFT. :cry:
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 pm

If it's any consolation, Quest may attract the lion's share of the IF market right now, but it still doesn't produce much in the way of good games. "Quality over quantity" after all.

Years ago, when there were several dozen ADRIFT games being released every year, I remember thinking on one hand it was great that ADRIFT produced more games than all the other systems put together, and on the other hand being disappointed that so many of them weren't really much good. While you did get good ADRIFT games, you also got bad ones, and unfortunately the sheer number of bad ones tended to outweigh the good ones by quite a margin and probably left newcomers with a negative impression of the system as a whole (i.e. if it only produces bad games, it must be a bad system, right?) Nowadays, far fewer ADRIFT games are released, but the ones that make it past the finishing line are, on average, better than the ones from years ago. We seem to get far fewer truly dire games these days and I can honestly say I haven't seen a game reach the standards of "Death Agency" in a long time.

Quest seems to have taken ADRIFT's place from years ago as the system which produces the highest volume of games, but whereas ADRIFT tended to produce a few good games amidst all the drivel, with Quest it's just slightly okay games amidst all the drivel. (I haven't played every Quest game ever written, of course, so it's entirely possible there are some real gems on the site just waiting to be discovered, but when I recently played three Quest games at random, I found all of them to be pretty poor. They were full of the kind of errors you generally get in games written by people who don't really know much about IF – can't examine the majority of items, obvious commands not working, minimal descriptions, etc, etc.)

One puzzling thing about the whole situation, though, is not so much why so many people wind up at the Quest site first, but why the majority stay there once they see how flawed the system is. When I was looking for a system to write games with, I didn't come to ADRIFT originally. I think I downloaded TADS first, then Inform (or maybe the other way around), but I couldn't get my head around either (due to being a non-programmer and Inform 6 being strictly a programmer's system), so I kept on searching till I hit on a system that suited me more (which happened to be ADRIFT). From the way Quest has blossomed recently, it either manages to keep hold of the majority of people who find it via Google, or there are a considerable number of potential IF fans out there who try Quest, don't like it, and then stop looking. Why don't they come here?
David Whyld

Postby Turing » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:49 pm

David Whyld wrote:There's already that sort of thing at http://www.intfiction.org/forum/index.php but I can't imagine Campbell would want ADRIFT discussion to be lumped under the "other development systems" heading. The guy behind Quest probably wouldn't agree to that, either.

I agree there ought to be a central area for the IF community, though, if only so everyone with an interest in IF knows what is available. I remember seeing posts on RAIF years ago when people would ask which development system was best for them as a non-programmer, and they'd be hit with a variety of responses ranging from TADS to Inform to Alan to HUGO (none of which are really ideal if you're a non-programmer). ADRIFT barely got a mention.

Which is why I was thinking more along the lines of a joint site, with each program simply having a "[Name] Technical Forum" and all non-technical discussions would be cross-program. Probably a pipe-dream, though :roll:
Turing

Postby ralphmerridew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Maybe they don't realize "how flawed the system is".
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:03 pm

I suppose the site design may have something to do with it. If we compare the two:

ADRIFT:
http://www.adrift.co/

Quest:
http://textadventures.co.uk/

ADRIFT's site looks very technical and not very eye-catching. Lots of words but nothing really grabs the attention. On the other hand, Quest's is a lot more colourful, a lot more in your face and attention grabbing. I also like the fact that the first thing you see are the games, whereas with the ADRIFT site they're hidden away behind a tab. The ADRIFT site has a lot of words which most people will probably skim over; the Quest site has nice colourful tabs and pictures. And a picture is worth a thousand words. I also like the way Quest has access to all various genres of games from that one page, whereas if you wanted to play an ADRIFT game of a certain genre, how would you go about finding one?

From a casual glance at the two sites, a newcomer to the scene who knows nothing about either system might easily be swayed by the more eye-catching Quest site design, especially when they see how many games it has on there as well as the multiple high ratings for them (which are no indication of the quality of the games, unfortunately, but you won't know that till you try them).
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Being completely honest here, the main site has always been kind of fugly and not exactly something that grabs the attention. (well maybe the color scheme does, but not in a good way) I'd say it's long overdue for a redesign, even though I'd hate to see Campbell's attention taken away from development long enough to do that.
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:44 am

Wow, I haven't heard that word for a long time! I always imagined the ADRIFT site set up sort of like a movie rental site would be, with a medium size box cover and a brief synopsis, with simple star ratings, but no reviews or perhaps a highlight feature that does one game a month or something. People are visual...most are visual learners as well as visual responders, and it apparently makes quite a big difference.

Something a bit more modern than http://www.infocom-if.org/games/cutthro ... roats.html

but not quite as flashy as http://templatesellers.info/livedemo-1168.html (though I like the scroll bit at the top.

I suppose we all have our own vision of how we'd imagine it. Heh, fansite kit anyone?
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Campbell » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 am

If anyone is good at web design, I'm very open to any assistance. :)
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:26 am

Something must have changed over the years. I started looks for adventure games and programs like The Quill around 2004. Although this is a long time ago I'm pretty sure I would have been using phrases such "adventure game" and "text adventure". I came upon ADRIFT fairly quickly, so at that time it must have been higher in the rankings.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

PreviousNext

Return to General IF