ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Detailed analysis

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Detailed analysis

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 pm

I thought this was a very interesting prize at this year's IF Comp. I think if I entered and won a prize, I'd be very interested in selecting this.
A comprehensive analysis of your game's transcripts collected during the competition, including statistics, lists of bugs and unimplemented commands, evaluation of puzzle difficulty levels and story flow, comparison to other games in the competition, recommendations for changes in future releases, and more.
I wonder if it might be possible to set up some sort of group here, where we each submit a game, and give a detailed analysis of someone else's game?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: Detailed analysis

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:20 pm

I'd love it if that sort of thing happened, but I expect it'd be a case of lots of people volunteering to help, constant requests for the deadline for submissions to be extended, half-baked excuses at the last moment for why someone couldn't get their analysis done in time (computer exploded, run over in the street, kidnapped by aliens, etc, etc) and then maybe a single half-finished analysis submitted with a vague promise that it'll definitely be finished one day shortly before the end of the universe...

Still, I'd love to be proved wrong and hope it turns out to be a roaring success and I'd definitely volunteer to do an analysis – provided I'm not the only one volunteering and everyone else doesn't drop out because of one of the above-mentioned excuses.

I wonder, though, who'd be brave (foolish? mad? masochistic?) enough to submit their game forward for us to analyse like this.
David Whyld

Postby Jin Sane » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:59 pm

A little cynical aren't we, Mr Whyld? :p
Jin Sane

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 pm

With good reason, Mr Sane, with good reason :)
David Whyld

Postby ElliotM » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Maybe one shouldn't receive their analysis until they've submitted one themselves?
ElliotM

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 pm

I like that!
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to General IF