ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

What do you want to see reviewed?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

What do you want to see reviewed?

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Are you an author who's been waiting to get some feedback on a game that never ended up coming up? Are you looking at some ADRIFT games, but hesitating because you're unsure of their quality? Time to give your suggestions!

As an author, I have two games that still have NO reviews posted on the ADRIFT site (despite one being XYZZY nominated!) that I'd like to see reviewed: The Ascot and Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort. I heard a lot of feedback from IFComp judges about them, but not a peep from the ADRIFT community. Would anyone would care to give 'em a shot? The Ascot is pretty quick to play through (though it will probably take more than one playthrough to get the best ending)... the other is a more substantial adventure.

As a player, I'm curious about pretty much any game without a rating, but I'll put my finger on "Birth of the Phoenix" since it was published so recently and it's in ADRIFT 5.

What are your thoughts, 'DRIFTers? Toss 'em out there.
Duncan_B

Re: What do you want to see reviewed?

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:27 am

Well, if you're dishing out reviews I wouldn't mind one of mine being done - either one of my old originals or one of the conversions. :)
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:29 pm

I dunno what other people think, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that having not played the originals, I can't dive right into one of the conversions (though perhaps a comparison of v4 & v5 "Jacaranda Jim" would be interesting). What do people think about that?

On the other hand, "Wrecked" was pretty important to ADRIFT, as I recall, being one of the first ADRIFT games in an IFComp. I remember Paul O'Brien had a thing or two to say about it at some length back then. Consider it in the pipeline!
Duncan_B

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:30 pm

:D

PS. Don't be too harsh, it was very old school... :blush:
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Althrough Wrecked has been reviewed in the past, probably better to start with games that haven't been reviewed.

According to the Delron Games List we have around 160 games (excluding AIF ones) without any reviews.

including a number of games by David Whyld that seem to be without comment -

Cut the Red Wire! No, the Blue Wire!, 2012
    The World According to CBN, 2007
    Jailbreak Bob, 2004
    The Revenge Of Clueless Bob Newbie, 2003
    The Revenge Of Clueless Bob Newbie, Part 2: This Time It's Personal, 2003
    The Worst Game In The World….. Ever!!!, 2003
    Oh No Not Another Fantasy Adventure (O.N.N.A.F.A.), 2002
    The Haunted House Of Hideous Horror, 2002
    Blood Relatives, 2001
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Good point. Perhaps if any of those users still frequent the forum (obviously David still does), they could add them to the ADRIFT reviews page?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Actually scrap that, I'll just copy them over.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:53 pm

I think at least a few of my games mentioned above have been reviewed before, though I'm not 100% sure of that. If you're going to review anything, I'd probably steer well clear of "Blood Relatives" unless you're in a masochistic mood. Mazes, guess the verb and no hints in sight. Oh yes, a classic and then some.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Glad to see this thread so active. For the record, I don't just mean to be the only one offering reviews. I understand if it kinda ends up that way, but I'd hoped this would be sort of a general purpose thread where people can suggest stuff and others might pick up on it. Any other volunteers?
:anyone:

Since it was requested first, I'll stick with doing a review of Wrecked first (which might not be badly timed, as there's a recent IFDB poll it might just fit on regardless of score). After that, I suppose I'll choose one of David's games at random-- probably with a d10-- unless any others have a strong desire to see one or another of his games reviewed specifically.
Duncan_B

Postby rotter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:16 am

I will have a look and see if I can find time to fit a review of something.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Campbell » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:53 am

Btw, I've added a link to Delron from the main site. Apologies for not doing so sooner... :blush:
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:11 am

Not sure if this is the place to mention it, but while we're talking about reviews... first of all, thanks to somebody for uploading a bunch to the site. Secondly, I deleted the review of mine that was uploaded for Shadowpeak. Not only does it no longer represents my view of the game since the more recent upload (still haven't finished it, so I can't tell you how I feel about the whole thing, but you can see later in the thread that review was taken from, I did mention that "Things get better once you get past the dragon"), but part of that whole review was based on a miscommunication of a single letter, if you can believe it. I thought it had set itself up as a COSMIC adventure rather than-- as I believe it had actually said-- a COMIC adventure. Way different expectations to meet, there. I mean, Fetlar the Overly Fetid is gonna seem awful in a cosmic game, but pitch perfect in a comic one.

Not to mention, "flabbergastingly abysmal" is super harsh for a game with its level of attention to craft. We've *seen* more games of that description... Shadowpeak is not one of them, far and away better made and more polished in general. Mea culpa, my apologies to Kevin Bailey on that one.
Duncan_B

Return to General IF