ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Do you use the word "it" when playing IF adventure games?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Do you use the word "it" when playing IF adventure games?

Postby Lazzah » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi all,

I wondered if any of my fellow Drifters use the word "it" when playing games where you are able to, e.g. in the command sequence GET BOOK - EXAMINE IT rather than GET BOOK - EXAMINE (or X) BOOK?

For the record, I do not.
Last edited by Lazzah on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Do you use the word "it" when playing IF adventure games

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 pm

I do, virtually always where possible.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:35 pm

I don't. I usually get book, examine book. Funny thing is that i usually use x for examine.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Po. Prune wrote:I don't. I usually get book, examine book. Funny thing is that i usually use x for examine.

I have edited my question accordingly! :whistle:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 pm

I always use "it" whenever possible, but I've noticed from playing ADRIFT games that frequently "x it" and "x book" will produce different responses.
David Whyld

Postby Jin Sane » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:29 pm

I use "it" when I'm feeling lazy. But I usually run into a problem before long (seems to be when trying to interact with an object on another object) and end up going back to calling objects by name.
Jin Sane

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:30 pm

David Whyld wrote:but I've noticed from playing ADRIFT games that frequently "x it" and "x book" will produce different responses.
Another reason to move onto v5 DW... :whistle:
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Jin Sane wrote:But I usually run into a problem before long (seems to be when trying to interact with an object on another object) and end up going back to calling objects by name.
The reasons for these sorts of problems is because tasks in v4 had to override all ways of a user typing a command. When you type "it", it substitutes the definite article version of the full object name (e.g. "the large red book") into the command. If the user has designed the command such as "put {a/the} book on table" then the command would fail when using "it" (i.e. "put it on table" becomes "put the large red book on table".) v5 cures this by allowing commands to be constructed using references, i.e. "put %object1% on %object2%". Command matching then looks at every combination of an object name.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Which is why people should always use wildcards.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Task Definition "put * book on * table". User types: "put all except the book on the table". Maybe not so great... :P

And that can happen more often than you think. E.g. you have an object you can't drop. So you might want to "drop all except the fragile vase". If you have a task "drop * vase" then you'll get in trouble.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:41 pm

That's kind of an extreme example, though. While in theory it's possible someone might type either of those things, in practice it happens so rarely it's not likely to be an issue.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 pm

There will also be trouble with "put * book on * table" if there's more than one book in the game, and you only want one to trigger the task. I don't think a wildcard based parser can reasonably handle that situation.

Also, how often would there be a situation where the wildcard behavior works and the reference behavior does not?

Side comment: I was irritated with Kerkerkruip when the commands: "TAKE NUNCHUKS. WIELD THEM" failed to work. (The game doesn't have nunchuks classified as plural; WIELD IT would have worked.)
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:52 am

I almost always use "it" when I've already referred to something while playing IF.
Another reason to move onto v5
I've run into problems using "it" in v5 games that I don't run into playing games in v4. For example, in the recent "Shattered Memory" intro, you might run across the following (which I've paraphrased from the original, with apologies to Jin):
>X BATHTUB
(something about the tub, with a pendant in it)
>GET PENDANT
(done)
>X IT
(something about the tub)

This happened in other v5 IntroComp games I played, too. That's just one instance I remember off the top of my head.
Duncan_B

Postby Jin Sane » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:11 am

Thanks, Duncan. This is related to the issue I posted above. I couldn't recall any specific experiences but you refreshed my memory on one. I ran into this same thing when playtesting Shattered Memory (which I playtested to death, I hope that's noticeable). Examining the bathtub, then getting the pendant and then examining "it" gives the object description for the bathtub.

The fact that the "get pendant" task is an overrride task may be a factor here.
Jin Sane

Postby saabie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:52 am

I use "it", "him", "her" and "all" regularly.
But what is "them" supposed to refer to?
When you use "them" it produces the message "(Absolutely Nothing)" which is the same message given by "it" when no object has been referenced recently.
But "them" still gives the same message after referencing objects or characters, it never seems to be set to anything.
saabie

Next

Return to General IF