ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

If Comp Updates; good / bad?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

If Comp Updates; good / bad?

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:00 am

With the discussion last year about the annual IfComp and the updates of games during the competition, I realise that I'm probably stirring up a hornets nest here.
I just checked the IfComp over at IntIf.org (wanting to see if Duncan's game was mentioned.. yup! keeping an eye on you Duncan :wink: )
I noticed that they are now on their third update :shock:
Apart from the question whether it's fair to allow updates during a running competition, one thing that puzzles me is which review to go by? I mean it must be terribly confusing to read, say, 4 different reviews going from cr*p to jewels (I know it's not very likely that there's such a span, but it could happen)

Don't forget to vote!
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: If Comp Updates; good / bad?

Postby David Whyld » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:16 am

Well I made my opinions clear on the subject last year and I don't really want to rehash them all again, but yeah I still dislike the idea of updates during the IFComp voting period. You enter a buggy game and people complain about it? Tough. Get it tested better next time. My first ever IFComp entry had a pretty nasty bug in it, and it was commented upon in several reviews and probably lowered my overall score, but it was my own fault for not allowing myself time to get it properly tested. I learned my lesson the hard way and made damn sure I got my next game tested.

I did have hopes the rule might have been removed this year, especially after the amount of fuss kicked up about it last year, but no such luck. And unless I missed it, there hasn't even been a proper discussion regarding the pros and cons of it, so it doesn't look like the organiser has any intention of removing it any time soon.

One interesting thing I noticed last year, though, was that the number of voters had decreased quite considerably from the previous year, even though the number of games had actually increased. I also notice this year that the number of games dropped quite a bit from last year. Did the new rule have anything to do with this? We can only speculate.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 am

Like I said in my opening post, I wasn't going to stirr up the old discussion.
I was merely speculating about the value of reviews written about the comp games. You said it yourself, David. One bug in your game, and a nasty one at that. It's a great example, by the way. The first review of that game would mention the bug, maybe a bug that made the game unwinable. next update the bug is removed and the game gets a totally different review.
In the Adrift game archive the reviews of a game is usually written at the download page, so players have a chance to read all the reviews at once. In the If Comp various people put their reviews on their blogs or whereever and I doubt very much that players chase around to find all the reviews.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:08 am

Updates during a comp? Stupid idea. The other problem with the reviews is that eventually the sites they are on just disappear and so you can't read the review anyway.

I am collecting reviews for Irvine Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea as normal.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Campbell » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Good job of finding the reviews rotter. They really are spread widely.

It does appear from reading those that there are a lot of negative responses to the ADRIFT engine. It's a real shame that Duncan didn't take the opportunity to use ADRIFT 5 rather than v4 as I think many of the frustrations experienced by the reviewers would have been overcome. It also doesn't do the reputation of ADRIFT any good to continue to have these reviews of a poor engine released when the engine being used is archaic v4.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:25 pm

The Delron site started as a place to put my IF stuff. But it evolved. Now it is a collection of ADRIFT related stuff. David start collecting reviews on ShadowVault and I carried on his work.

It is possible to get a reasonably solid V4 game for the rough crowd over the otherside, but it takes hard work and lot of care. Plus they are always harder on the slightly issue with ADRIFT I think.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Return to General IF