ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Feedback (or the lack of)

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Feedback (or the lack of)

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Ah yes, feedback. That old bugbear. We all crave it – it's why we write games in the first place, isn't it? – but we're usually notoriously bad at providing it.

Hands up: who here has played an ADRIFT games over the last 12 months? Quite a few of you, I'm guessing.

Next set of hands up: how many of you have written a review of said game, or voted for it on the main site, or provided any kind of feedback whatsoever to the author? Not many, I'm guessing.

This got me wondering what we can do to encourage people to provide feedback; and also what the reasons are behind people not providing any. Is it simply that writing a review takes too much time? I wouldn't have said so. Is it too much effort? Is it simply a case of people thinking that, if no one else is writing reviews, why should I? Or do people feel like they don't know enough about the IF/ADRIFT scene to write a decent review or provide meaningful feedback?

So what can be done to generate a bit of feedback, reviews, voting, etc? I'd like to hear ideas. Special titles for forum members who write reviews? I'd also like to hear from people who don't write reviews/provide feedback as to why they don't. What are their reasons? I don't want to name names or point fingers or start singling people out and saying, "Hey, you! Write a review or get out!" or anything of that kind, I'm just curious.
David Whyld

Re: Feedback (or the lack of)

Postby Campbell » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm

My plan for this is to send out an email to people 2 weeks after they download a game, asking if they would like to review said game, much like Amazon does after you purchase something.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Mystery » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm pointing the finger at myself here. I haven't played an ADRIFT or IF game in....years. Wait, I did play one of my own a while back (and thought to myself that it was garbage, what was I thinking?). Anyways, I mostly haven't played because of life, work...other interests, and feeling like there just isn't enough time to get something accomplished (same excuse for not writing too). But I'd like to be able to set some time aside to play.

Perhaps we could make a forum gaming event that occurs weekly, bi monthly or whatever (could be adjusted based on turn out, game size ect.). Someone could pick a game, or nominate a game and post a link in a thread, and after or before the end of the (end of week or bi monthly period). For large scale games, those could be done as a side to the smaller games on a monthly basis).

So to break it down:

*Someone (Campbell, David?) pick a game to post for review with a link to the download and link to where it can be reviewed.

*The thread can be used to discuss the game, assist others who might get stuck, and general discussion about the game to be reviewed. (This would definitely involve spoilers.

*When a person is done playing the game, they can follow the link provided in the first post to actually put their review on the website for the game.

Well, it's an idea at least. :|
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby ElliotM » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:08 pm

We have a webrunner now, so we could play some of them online. Would people be interested in a ClubFloyd like experience? We could at least all join the website chat while we played if time wasn't prohibitive, then we might be able to ask for hints, share our experiences, etc. To be honest, I play one IF game per year or less on average, for much the same reasons as Mystery: lack of time, other interests, etc. I still keep up on how-to articles and IF theory crafting, but have yet to actually write a game of my own.
ElliotM

Postby Lazzah » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:43 am

Campbell wrote:My plan for this is to send out an email to people 2 weeks after they download a game, asking if they would like to review said game, much like Amazon does after you purchase something.

That's very interesting, so you know who has downloaded a particular ADRIFT game from the website? Do you also know who has played a particular game online? I would be very surprised if anyone can complete my recently released game "Fortress of Fear" within two weeks of downloading it, given the size of the adventure!

I never play games for pleasure these days, I gave that up many moons ago when I started writing my own adventures - not enough time. The only game apart from my own that I have played all the way through in recent years is PO Prune's "Son of Camelot", which I playtested.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:07 pm

Lazzah wrote:
Campbell wrote:My plan for this is to send out an email to people 2 weeks after they download a game, asking if they would like to review said game, much like Amazon does after you purchase something.

That's very interesting, so you know who has downloaded a particular ADRIFT game from the website? Do you also know who has played a particular game online? I would be very surprised if anyone can complete my recently released game "Fortress of Fear" within two weeks of downloading it, given the size of the adventure!

I was curious about that as well. Is it possible to tell who's downloaded what? I'd have assumed their IP address was the only information available unless they've also registered on the site.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:11 pm

If someone is logged in then I can record who downloads or plays something online, and therefore would be able to send them an email later.

I don't think someone necessarily needs to complete a game in order to write a review though. 2 weeks (or whatever it would be set to) should be sufficient to form a clear opinion about the game in question,
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Campbell wrote:I don't think someone necessarily needs to complete a game in order to write a review though. 2 weeks (or whatever it would be set to) should be sufficient to form a clear opinion about the game in question,

Sounds ok.. A bit like the IFComp where it's 2 hours game play (as I recall)
The player should be able to get a pretty good idea about the game after two weeks... Also it gives him/her time to think about the game s/he's just played.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby MikeDesert » Mon May 20, 2013 7:48 am

yeah, same here - I've played a few in the past year, but not for any length of time. a couple times a month I'll be in the shower (no I shower more than a couple times a month - hear me out) and I'll think of a puzzle or a room description I like and I'll get the itch, but then I see something shiny and I'll forget about it.
Last place winner of Adrift 2011 Ectocomp
MikeDesert

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 am

I've recently started reviewing of the recent games on the main site and I'd encourage other people to do the same. Even if you don't have the time / motivation / interest in writing a review, at least put a rating down for a game. I'm sure we've all played games on the main site and haven't got around to rating them yet.
David Whyld

Postby pinosante » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:46 am

Any game you'd advise trying out?
pinosante

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Well, my own obviously :)

But I guess anything recent-ish on the main site that doesn't yet have a review or rating attached to it. Or even pick a game that does, as sometimes it's nice to see what other people think about a game.
David Whyld

Postby pinosante » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 pm

How is it called?
pinosante

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 pm

David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:56 am

If you want to try a game you can really get your teeth into, you could try my game "The Fortress of Fear" which you can download from the links in my signature below. It is a very big game and written in the "old school" style.

BTW, David's game "Full Circle" was written using ADRIFT v.4 and you may find it better to download the v.4 runner to play it if you have not got it already. Here is the link for the download:

http://www.adrift.co/files/ADRIFT40r.zip
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Next

Return to General IF