ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Scrolling text or not?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Scrolling text or not?

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 am

What are your opinion about text in adventures?
You are playing a game that only has a limited window area for the text. Would you prefer to have to scroll the text as you read along, or would you rather have a "Press any key" option?
I'm trying to figure out the best way to design my game.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Scrolling text or not?

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:15 pm

By scrolling text, how do you mean exactly? Text that literally scrolls up the screen as you read it? If so, I don't think I'd like that much as I'm sure the text would either scroll too fast or too slow for my liking.

I prefer the "press any key" option myself, but it can look a bit of an eyesore at times.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Po. Prune wrote:What are your opinion about text in adventures?
You are playing a game that only has a limited window area for the text. Would you prefer to have to scroll the text as you read along, or would you rather have a "Press any key" option?
I'm trying to figure out the best way to design my game.

Why not give the player to option to choose which display to use? See my tutorial on the ADRIFT Wiki:

http://wiki.adrift.co/Refreshing_the_sc ... a_location

I have this in "Fortress of Fear". I myself prefer scrolling text. Things will improve when Campbell implements text windows in ADRIFT, as in the enhancement that has most votes at the moment:

http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=bug&bugid=180

Vote this up if you haven't already! Campbell, we are all screaming for this! (Subtle hint) :whistle:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Lazzah wrote:Vote this up if you haven't already! Campbell, we are all screaming for this! (Subtle hint) :whistle:
Lol, I'll try to fit this into the next release. 8)
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:45 pm

David Whyld wrote:By scrolling text, how do you mean exactly? Text that literally scrolls up the screen as you read it? If so, I don't think I'd like that much as I'm sure the text would either scroll too fast or too slow for my liking.

I prefer the "press any key" option myself, but it can look a bit of an eyesore at times.

I mean that you use the scroll bar on the right side of the window to scroll the text down.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:07 pm

I'd prefer it if we got rid of the scroll bar altogether. It always seems kinda clunky to me.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:28 pm

David Whyld wrote:I'd prefer it if we got rid of the scroll bar altogether. It always seems kinda clunky to me.
Interesting idea. Bung up an item, I'm sure I can add an option for that.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:06 pm

so, would you reinstall the V.4 option.. automatically stop text?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Po. Prune wrote:I mean that you use the scroll bar on the right side of the window to scroll the text down.

I have never had to use the scroll bar to scroll down to read text. Text should scroll up the screen and if the window fills with text it should stop automatically and you should see the "Press any Key to Continue" bar at the bottom of the Runner. I assume this is as it was in V.4 as you say in your later post.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Po. Prune wrote:so, would you reinstall the V.4 option.. automatically stop text?
I'm not sure what you mean by that?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:52 am

Campbell wrote:
Po. Prune wrote:so, would you reinstall the V.4 option.. automatically stop text?
I'm not sure what you mean by that?

There was/is an option in V.4 where the author can chooseif the text should stop when the screen is full and then come up with a message >more< the player clicked on thr more message and the text would scroll up revealing the next piece of text.
As for Lazzah's suggestion as to the the player choose, I'm not sure it would work in this special case.
I'm using graphics in D-Day and I have set up the screen so that the graphics windown is on the upper part of the screen and the text in a smaller window underneath. To the right is the map window.
If I use the scroll option the player can just scroll the text while reading, whereas if I choose the "press any key" option I will have to adjust the text so it looks "smart" and the breaks in paragraphs comes natural.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 am

ADRIFT 5 does this automatically - the input box becomes a button saying "Press any key to continue" if the output for any one turn is greater than the height of the output window.

I haven't added an option for this, because I think it's something everyone would want.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:41 am

For testing purposes, it's handy not to have the "press any key to continue" message pop up every few seconds. When I'm copy-pasting the walkthrough into the Runner to test everything works the way it should, it slows things down a lot if "press any key to continue" pops up on screen all the time.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 am

David Whyld wrote:For testing purposes, it's handy not to have the "press any key to continue" message pop up every few seconds. When I'm copy-pasting the walkthrough into the Runner to test everything works the way it should, it slows things down a lot if "press any key to continue" pops up on screen all the time.

I agree with David, it would be very useful for testing purposes if there was an option to ignore "Press any Key to Continue". Is there any way this could be included in the Runner, but not be an option for the player (IYSWIM)?
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 am

Yes, no reason why not. Would this ignore both automatic waits and author defined (<waitkey>) waits? I could add as a command (e.g waitkey on/off) so it could be toggled within macros.
Campbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to General IF