ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Imerial units or Metric system?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Imerial units or Metric system?

Postby The Second » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:07 am

Hello everyone.

I have to admit, as an American over the age of thirty, that when it comes to measurements I am far more comfortable with Imperial Units and so, when it comes to writing, I find myself naturally using feet and inches instead of centimeters and such. When it comes to reading, I've adapted pretty well to converting metrics to Imperial, though it does distract from the flow of whatever it is I'm reading when I do so.

Now I do realize that the good ole American way is a little bit backwards nowadays, what with most of the world having converted to using the Metric System, so when considering a worldwide audience, which system would be preferable? Or should I dodge the bullet by avoiding the use of exact measures?
If all the land were paper, and all the seas were ink, and all the trees were bread and cheese, wouldn't we all die of thirst? And how would we make grilled cheese without burning a hole in the land? We can't have that; it's a terrible idea!
The Second

Re: Imerial units or Metric system?

Postby Lazzah » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 am

As an Englishman approaching 60, I was educated in the imperial system and am still more comfortable with that. However, you have to bear in mind that games will be played by all nationalities and a lot will use the metric system and I try to do so in my games. Nothing to stop you inventing your own system for a fantasy or sci-fi game though!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:52 pm

What's the setting on your game?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby The Second » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:37 pm

It's a contemporary setting (Los Angeles in the present) so yeah, modern measurements apply.

Lazzah wrote:As an Englishman approaching 60, I was educated in the imperial system and am still more comfortable with that. However, you have to bear in mind that games will be played by all nationalities and a lot will use the metric system and I try to do so in my games. Nothing to stop you inventing your own system for a fantasy or sci-fi game though!

As much as I wish i could be the next Edgar Rice Burroughs or Fritz Leiber, I just can't write fantasy or sci-fi. That is, I get lost in detailing how such and such magic system works, or how how this or that oscillating thingamawhatsit bends space time and the story comes out as dry as grandma's three week old fruitcake. ;)
If all the land were paper, and all the seas were ink, and all the trees were bread and cheese, wouldn't we all die of thirst? And how would we make grilled cheese without burning a hole in the land? We can't have that; it's a terrible idea!
The Second

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:10 pm

Well, if the PC is an American, then you should probably favor the imperial system. If the PC is European, then favour metric.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Return to General IF