ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Fester Mudd

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Fester Mudd

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 am

If you're a fan of the old style adventure games you may want to check this out. It should be released tomorrow (March 7) https://replaygamesinc.com/
Dang, it brings back a lot of fond memories... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgU2zK2ttkc
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 31Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Fester Mudd

Postby Lazzah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Po. Prune wrote:If you're a fan of the old style adventure games you may want to check this out. It should be released tomorrow (March 7) https://replaygamesinc.com/
Dang, it brings back a lot of fond memories... :wink:

My memories of these GRAPHIC adventure games are not fond ones, as they killed off the home-grown TEXT adventure scene in the UK. When these first started to be available in the early 1990's when the 16-bit computers started appearing (it might've been earlier) we realised that (excuse the pun) the writing was on the wall for text adventures. After all, why play boring old text adventures when you can play an all-singing, all-dancing graphic adventure with MOVING pictures, colour AND sound!! Sure enough, sales started to fall off as people started to discover these games and within a few years most of us text adventure authors in the UK had stopped writing text adventures.

I personally could never see the attraction of these graphic adventures, although I was a fan of the "Vahalla" series of games.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:13 pm

Lazzah: My memories of these GRAPHIC adventure games are not fond ones, as they killed off the home-grown TEXT adventure scene in the UK. When these first started to be available in the early 1990's when the 16-bit computers started appearing (it might've been earlier) we realised that (excuse the pun) the writing was on the wall for text adventures. After all, why play boring old text adventures when you can play an all-singing, all-dancing graphic adventure with MOVING pictures, colour AND sound!! Sure enough, sales started to fall off as people started to discover these games and within a few years most of us text adventure authors in the UK had stopped writing text adventures.

I personally could never see the attraction of these graphic adventures, although I was a fan of the "Vahalla" series of games.

I'm sorry to hear that Lazzah. I have (mostly) only find memories. I got into the adventure game world back in the 80's when "the Hobbit" was released. I don't know if you call it a graphic adventure since it had only still pictures. But it was what got me hooked.
I still think the first graphic adventures was fun. The only difference between them and the text only games was that there was a picture. Yes you used the arrows to move the guy around, but you still had to type in commands. Oh, and like in the first text adventures you'd better hit the correct command :wink: Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, not to forget Space Quest, was all high on my list, at least until Sierra turned them into point and click games.

A text adventure need not be boring, as you put it, it all depends whether the author is able to captivate his/her audience. Look at Eric the unready, or Frederick Pohl's "Gateway" Just to mention two, and if we're talking strictly text we have quite a few writers who manage to hold an audience. But I guess it's all in the time... I mean most kids today would rather play a videogame than read a book.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 31Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Po. Prune wrote:
After all, why play boring old text adventures when you can play an all-singing, all-dancing graphic adventure with MOVING pictures, colour AND sound!!

A text adventure need not be boring, as you put it, it all depends whether the author is able to captivate his/her audience. Look at Eric the unready, or Frederick Pohl's "Gateway" Just to mention two, and if we're talking strictly text we have quite a few writers who manage to hold an audience.

I was being sarcastic! :wink: I wouldn't've spent two years working on "Fortress of Fear" if I thought players would find it boring! :)

Po. Prune wrote:I mean most kids today would rather play a videogame than read a book.

Tell me about it! I gave up trying to get my 12 y.o. grandson to read a book - X-Box and Playstation rule, OK!
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Return to General IF