ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Movements in IF

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Movements in IF

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:29 am

Is it acceptable to switch between the player having to first open a door before s/he can enter the adjacent location and just using the direction ie. > Go South (and before any clever sod brings it up, we assume that there is a door between the two locations rofl ) or would it just be confusing?
Example:
a corridor with two doors, one leading to the bedroom the other to the bathroom.
Player has to >Open Door before being able to >Go North into the bedroom, but can just >Go South in order to enter the bathroom.

Thoughts?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Movements in IF

Postby David Whyld » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:47 am

Unless the door actually has some purpose, I'd just scrap it altogether.
David Whyld

Postby NickyDude » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 am

I wouldn't make them open the door either unless it's important, just say something like "Opening the door you head south into..."
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:21 am

I see what you mean and it's a good advice.
My problem was that I have a situation where it's esssential that the player opens the door before entering and I thought it would perhaps be confusing (and irritating) if s/he the Next time encountered a door and tried to open it only to get the default response that the door can't be opened.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:22 pm

My way of working with closed doors is as follows:

The first time the player comes to a closed door, they have to OPEN DOOR (first unlocking it if necessary) as in real life. Unless they specifically CLOSE the DOOR after they have gone through it, the door remains open and they can just go in the direction it leads at all times.

My experience is that some players (not all of them!) are lazy and do not want to have to type OPEN DOOR when they approach a closed one they just want to go straight through it. I think my method is the sensible one, as they only have to open the door once. Of course, if there are a lot of doors in the game which they have to open that's hard luck! :haha:

I have played games in the past where you have to OPEN DOOR every single time you approach a door in the game, as "...the door closes behind you."! :shock: Grossly unfair!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby NickyDude » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Po, Why do they need to open the door?
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Campbell » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:14 pm

It should be fairly simple to auto-run an "open door" task if the player tries to walk in the direction of a closed door.

> n
(Opening the door first)
You walk north.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:25 pm

NickyDude wrote:Po, Why do they need to open the door?

It's a thing for my entry to the Annual Adrift Comp. So I'd rather not give too much away.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Turing » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Campbell wrote:It should be fairly simple to auto-run an "open door" task if the player tries to walk in the direction of a closed door.

> n
(Opening the door first)
You walk north.

That would be my solution.
Turing

Postby Lazzah » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:45 pm

NickyDude wrote:Po, Why do they need to open the door?

To get to the room next door? :whistle:

To be honest, I cannot understand all this fuss about opening a door. In real life we go around opening and closing doors all the time, we do not think twice about it. But put a door which has to be opened, even once, into an adventure game and everyone is up in arms. A building of whatever sort without doors in whatever time period would be rather odd. How long does it take to type "OPEN DOOR" for heavens sake?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:42 pm

It's not so much a case as typing "open door" that has people up in arms, but the question of why is it even necessary. And if you need an "open door" command, then why not an "extend hand" command? And a "put hand on door handle" command? And a "turn door handle with hand" command? And so on and so forth.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:09 pm

My question was whether it would be ok to switch between making the player having to open a door and to just let him/her walk in the direction of the Next location.
There are one or two situations in my game where I need the player to open the door before entering the adjacent location. I was just wondering if I should then stick to the open door thing in order to keep a continuity or if it would be ok to switch between the two.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 pm

David Whyld wrote:It's not so much a case as typing "open door" that has people up in arms, but the question of why is it even necessary. And if you need an "open door" command, then why not an "extend hand" command? And a "put hand on door handle" command? And a "turn door handle with hand" command? And so on and so forth.

Now you are being silly. The OPEN DOOR command has been a part of adventure games for as long as I can remember. In the 1980's and 90's we played the games (which we paid money for), opening and closing doors all over the place. We never questioned whether it was "necessary", we just got on with playing (and enjoying) the game. It is quite apparent that today's generation of IF/text adventure players are a totally different breed - the games are free, but they still want everything handed to them on a plate!
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 pm

I think there's a big difference between people expecting things handing to them on a plate and a simple discussion about whether it's necessary to type "open door" every time you come to a closed door. And yes, I played text adventures back in the 80's and 90's and I spent a lot of time opening doors that seemed to be included in the game for no other reason than the author felt like including them. That, along with mazes, is one aspect of old school IF that I'm glad has died out.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I think generally doors are there as puzzles. If it is part of a puzzle to open the door (and thus open up new locations) then the door should have to be explicitly opened. If not, it makes sense to automatically open it if the player walks that way.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to General IF