ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Movements in IF

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Movements in IF

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:00 pm

For comparison, the expected convention in Inform is that moving in the direction of a closed door will attempt to implicitly open it first; trying to open a locked object will implicitly try to unlock it first.

The general rule is that "the player shouldn't have to think much about things that the player character wouldn't have to think about".

For example, in a stealth-based game, the PC would be very concerned about whether doors are opened or closed (if a door is open, an NPC in another room might see the player doing something, or might remember that the door was shut last time; in such a case, it's probably best to keep the player explicitly aware of doors being opened / closed.)

Games:

Implicit actions: Common Ground (second section) http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=gdy6gaia4nm66km2

Explicit door puzzles (IIRC): My Mind's Mishmash http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=v43afr872izjmif0
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Turing » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Lazzah wrote:
David Whyld wrote:It's not so much a case as typing "open door" that has people up in arms, but the question of why is it even necessary. And if you need an "open door" command, then why not an "extend hand" command? And a "put hand on door handle" command? And a "turn door handle with hand" command? And so on and so forth.

Now you are being silly. The OPEN DOOR command has been a part of adventure games for as long as I can remember. In the 1980's and 90's we played the games (which we paid money for), opening and closing doors all over the place. We never questioned whether it was "necessary", we just got on with playing (and enjoying) the game. It is quite apparent that today's generation of IF/text adventure players are a totally different breed - the games are free, but they still want everything handed to them on a plate!

I like to approach IF design philosophy the same way I approach a (pen & paper) roleplaying game: If it furthers the mood or the story, leave room for it, but if it's an action that has to succeed, don't make them roll for it. Opening doors does not, generally speaking, add anything noteworthy to a story and therefore I can understand why people would skip it. Also, at some point it starts to become annoying to have to type "open door" for the millionth time (which is also why your solution is a good compromise. I would still go for the auto-open that Campbell suggested though).
Turing

Postby saabie » Wed May 01, 2013 5:47 am

Why don't you just include the doors but leave most of them open from the start :)
In most houses and offices only the exterior doors are kept shut, the internal ones are only shut when someone wants some privacy or there is something valuable in that room.
saabie

Postby Duncan_B » Wed May 01, 2013 3:49 pm

If you're really interested in this question of how to sculpt space and access in IF, you should read "Game Design As Narrative Architecture," by Henry Jenkins.
Duncan_B

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 07, 2013 8:45 am

Hi Guys,

In a moment of sheer madness, the discussions on this thread inspired me to create the attached. It is very small and it isn't really a "game". Enjoy! :)
Attachments
A Nightmare.taf
"Your Worst Nightmare" - a bit of a send-up! :-)
(25.39 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby reelyor » Sun May 12, 2013 1:16 am

I think it would be confusing to have to issue an OPEN DOOR command only once in the game and not have to do it all the other times, assuming there are more than one door in the game. If it is necessary that OPNE DOOR trips a task that controls something else, why not just create a GO NORTH command task instead, that trips the other effect you are looking for?
"Live well, Love much, Laugh often"

Working on: "Deperate Isle" and "Niki - An Adult Graphic Adventure"

reelyor@msn.com
Roy
reelyor

Previous

Return to General IF