ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Emily Short on her view of I.F.

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Emily Short on her view of I.F.

Postby Duncan_B » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 am

Emily Short has shared some thoughts on the status of the I.F. Community here. In my opinion, a very good read and well said. Please share your thoughts.
Duncan_B

Re: Emily Short on her view of I.F.

Postby David Whyld » Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 am

So what was all the fuss kicked up over "howling dogs" anyway? I haven't played the game myself so I'm genuinely curious as to what there is about it to cause so much negativity. Or is it simply a case of someone overreacting to comments that were perceived as far more offensive than they really were?

I can remember quite a few times over the years on the ADRIFT forum where people have gone off in a huff because someone said something negative about their game, or about the author themselves, and my initial reaction whenever that kind of thing happens is to think "Well, people say negative things all the time. Deal with it. If you're going to throw all your hard work out of the window because of that, more fool you."

Saying that, if the author of "howling dogs" was receiving hate mail from people saying her game was a "crime", I can certainly see that was out of line.
David Whyld

Postby MikeDesert » Mon May 20, 2013 7:42 am

I didn't play too much of it...it seemed well written, but with hyperlinks and no parser it wasn't so much of a game to me. It seemed kind of interesting, just not my cup of tea.
Last place winner of Adrift 2011 Ectocomp
MikeDesert

Postby David Whyld » Mon May 20, 2013 8:56 am

I played it myself the other day just to see what it was like. I came away not liking it much. Nice writing, but very repetitive and not much of a game. I'm also not keen on Twine - while it looks nice, the lack of UNDO or SAVE commands is a big issue as games need to be completed in a single session. Any large game written in Twine would be a real hassle to play.

I didn't see anything especially offensive about the game, though, so I'm not sure why the author was getting nasty e-mails from people about it. Maybe Pudlo just had a lot of free time that day.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Sat May 25, 2013 12:53 am

I think most of the hate mail Porpentine was getting was gender-oriented. I played her game and had a short chance to talk with her at GDC this year, but hate mail wasn't really the aspect of IFComp we talked about. I know she did write this about it, though.

Also, hey! It's neat to notice that ol' Heal Butcher is the first person to comment on the blog post at this link. It's always good to see ADRIFT authors around.
Duncan_B

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat May 25, 2013 4:18 am

I think Twine does support SAVE; use your browser's bookmark feature.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby David Whyld » Sat May 25, 2013 2:23 pm

ralphmerridew wrote:I think Twine does support SAVE; use your browser's bookmark feature.

Really? I played the Twine game from the recent Spring Thing and bookmarked it, but when I went back to it later on that day I was just left with a blank page. I'll have to try it again because being able to save your game is a very necessary feature, particularly with no UNDO command.
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Sat May 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Duncan_B wrote:Also, hey! It's neat to notice that ol' Heal Butcher is the first person to comment on the blog post at this link. It's always good to see ADRIFT authors around.

Yes, I noticed that, too. Haven't heard that name in years and a quick search on the forum reveals it's been 9 years (way back in 2004) since he posted here.
David Whyld

Return to General IF