ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Knowing how people like their Paragraphs

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Which paragraph style do you like better?

lengthy versions
No votes
normal versions
64%
concise versions
27%
i hate them all
No votes
i like them all
9%
I don't like the way you wrote the version i like
No votes
i like dramatized versions. "full of details" which the poster could not apparently do
No votes

Total votes : 11

Knowing how people like their Paragraphs

Postby vladmirangel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:17 am

EDIT: Can i ask help from a mod to move this to the general IF section? Thanks, and sorry about posting at wrong area.

This poll aims to know which length of writing adrift players like better. Please vote on the length you feel happier reading.

Version 1: longer than normal
-Location: You are situated at the deck of battle cruiser SS-21' which contain a good amount of firepower coming from the 2 laser turrets at the left and right corner. This is where 23 highly trained personnel work to maintain the ship's order of location and navigation. You notice the incredible and thick framework that supports the whole area is made of hi-tensile and dense materials to support a range of forces that could act upon it that could stop even a speeding scout ship that would intently ram the hull. There is a net of hexagonal windows between each section of the framework that are typically made of thick electro-fusion glass that acts like a force field and is virtually indestructible given a good amount of energy. Around the east and west areas of the deck consist of an array of navigational computers that supports over half of the crew. Mainly used to monitor energy levels, movement of the ship, current space-time location, Incoming enemies, and signal detection. Situated at the very top and middle of the deck is the virtual map projector which looks like a huge box with dots in the middle the point out anything the ship could detect. Commander Angelo, who is also at the top deck, commands all process and proceeding of the battle-cruiser.

Version 2: normal
-Location: The main control of battle cruiser SS-21, which has 2 laser turrets at each side. It is piloted by a professional crew of 23 people . You notice the framework around the area is made of hi-tensile and dense materials that could stop even a speeding scout ship, even the windows are practically indestructible with enough energy to supply its shields. Around the east and west areas of the deck consist of navigational computers usually used to locate ships, position the battleship, and receive signals. Situated at the very top and middle of the deck is the virtual map projector along with the commander Angelo.

Version 3: shorter than normal
-Location: The main control of the battle-cruiser which is piloted by 23 people. You notice the framework of the ship consist of durable and refined materials and that the windows use strong shielding. At the deck's east and west area's, it consist of navigational computers and defense turrets. At the top middle of the deck lies the Virtual map projector with commander Angelo.
Art Gallery of Time: 42kb
Psychologically over thinking stuff is entertaining in its own right. -the way of the troll-
vladmirangel

Re: Knowing how people like their Paragraphs

Postby Lucid Prose » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:57 am

I dislike short room descriptions but only when entering a room for the first time. If a writer has taken the time to create and weave you into his story with some glorious text, it's only right for that text to be read at least once. After that, each visit to the location can just display the short description with the option to get the verbose one with a single command.

I try to make the location descriptions I use, portray or create the atmosphere for the game they are describing. I like to describe familiar places from a different perspective.

Example.

Like many of it's predecessors, this elegant and functional space serves a clear and defined purpose. Its black veined polished marble tiles, wander sedately across the floor, bathed in the light from an ornate chandelier. Its main feature, an oval pedestal standing some two feet in height and attached to the far wall, is crowned in sculpted mahogany. The single door, leading out, is inlaid with intricate carvings and strange runes, all waiting to be read.

Not to long and not to short with built in directions and a helpful hint. For completeness this location would have eleven static objects that could be examined or used, and a few that could be read. What type of location do you think it is?
"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean."
- Robert Louis Stevenson
Lucid Prose

Postby vladmirangel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Lucid Prose wrote:I dislike short room descriptions but only when entering a room for the first time. If a writer has taken the time to create and weave you into his story with some glorious text, it's only right for that text to be read at least once. After that, each visit to the location can just display the short description with the option to get the verbose one with a single command.

I try to make the location descriptions I use, portray or create the atmosphere for the game they are describing. I like to describe familiar places from a different perspective.

Example.

Like many of it's predecessors, this elegant and functional space serves a clear and defined purpose. Its black veined polished marble tiles, wander sedately across the floor, bathed in the light from an ornate chandelier. Its main feature, an oval pedestal standing some two feet in height and attached to the far wall, is crowned in sculpted mahogany. The single door, leading out, is inlaid with intricate carvings and strange runes, all waiting to be read.

Not to long and not to short with built in directions and a helpful hint. For completeness this location would have eleven static objects that could be examined or used, and a few that could be read. What type of location do you think it is?

if it were me playing, the objects i would think be in the room are...tiles, floor, chandelier, pedestal, wall, door, carvings, runes,... thats all i could perceive.
if i were to give a name to the room..."portal room" :whistle: i can't really think what the pedestal could be for based on context.
Your paragraph sounds nice, since i'm not really a born writer. I can't make any witty sentences on the spot.
Psychologically over thinking stuff is entertaining in its own right. -the way of the troll-
vladmirangel

Postby Lucid Prose » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks for the reply vladmirangel, The room is just a normal toilet, the pedestal crowned in mahogany is where you sit and the carvings and runes on the door are simply peoples names and phone numbers with various promises of a good time if called :D

While I like to see good puzzles in games, If we don't create a need in the player to complete them, then they may not be attempted and the rest of the game is abandoned, Location descriptions should paint a picture in the minds eye of the world you are trying to immerse the player in. Trying to maintain the theme and feeling of the game throughout. For me they are the single most important part of any text adventure.
"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean."
- Robert Louis Stevenson
Lucid Prose

Postby vladmirangel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Lucid Prose wrote:Thanks for the reply vladmirangel, The room is just a normal toilet, the pedestal crowned in mahogany is where you sit and the carvings and runes on the door are simply peoples names and phone numbers with various promises of a good time if called :D

:shock: This was too epic even for me

You mentioned we need something motivational for players to keep playing. thats quite something i'll look up into while i'm making my game.
vladmirangel

Postby Tyson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:29 am

Normally, I prefer concise paragraphs. I prefer concise paragraphs because they are not as easy to mess up. I'd rather have a short room description with decent object descriptions than a long room descriptions with poor object descriptions.

When I am confronted with a long room description, I think, "Great. Now I'm going to have to examine twenty objects." Long descriptions are generally overwhelming for me, as a player. However, long descriptions are acceptable if the room is somehow special. There would be a serious problem if all room descriptions were long.
Tyson

Postby Turing » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Short, concise descriptions on initially encountering items, NPCs or areas. "Normal" to long length descriptions are fine for when the player actively decides to examine something closer, but shouldn't be used for passing descriptions.
Turing

Postby Hordriss » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:37 pm

I would go for the 'normal' version. I think with IF, you want to be detailed but there is such a thing as too much information. You have to be able to take a lot in, and a sheer wall of text can be offputting.
Hordriss

Return to General IF