ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Best Adrift Games for people new to IF

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Best Adrift Games for people new to IF

Postby arelim » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:18 pm

So, if you guys had to pick 4 games that you would consider ideal for people new to IF and adrift ... what would they be?

I personally think the criteria should be :

- Engaging and interesting writing. If this story and writing had to stand alone, and not be part of a game ... could it do it?
- How much 'guess the verb' is there? Does the game provide direction and help for people who are new to IF syntax ... ?
- Does it have pictures? Are they good pictures? Do they fit with the story? Do they give the story a polished look rather than a 'I'm compensating for my writing skills with pictures, here look...'
arelim

Re: Best Adrift Games for people new to IF

Postby Lumin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:37 pm

I know we've written up a few 'top whatever' lists before, they're around here somewhere, but really, from a player's standpoint the interpreter used to write a game doesn't usually matter, that only becomes something to pay attention to when you start looking at the development side of things.

The first IF game I played to completion was Anchorhead, the second was Christminster, which were both probably astoundingly bad choices for a newcomer, but I at least understood the basics of getting around and inventory management from playing MUDs, which I'm sure took the edge off the learning curve. Dreamhold is supposed to be the go-to game for newbies now, or at least was a few years back, and I think City of Secrets is a good option too. Though if we're talking specifically ADRIFT, these days I'd probably recommend something like A Fine Day for Reaping, just off the top of my head.

A lot depends on the taste of the person you're targeting too, though...I have a coworker who likes to read and is reasonably computer literate, I think she'd be a good candidate for an IF player, but I know if I ever manage to sit her down in front of a computer I need to use a slice of life game as (for some weird reason) she has zero interest in scifi or fantasy or anything supernatural.
Lumin

Return to General IF