ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift End of the Year Comp.t

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Adrift End of the Year Comp.t

Postby Lazzah » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 am

ralphmerridew wrote:Lazzah: Campbell hasn't implemented it as a variable because it isn't a variable. It doesn't act like one, and trying to force it to act as one is likely to lead to the pileup of complexity that made ADRIFT 4 ultimately become unmaintainable.

ralphmerridew: From the time I first posted my enhancement request for a variable that would hold the number of items carried by the PC and in all the discussions I had with Campbell regarding this, not once did he explain to me that it was NOT possible to have this as a variable. If he had told me that it was not possible from the outset I would have understood and not pursued it. However, the reason he gave to me why he did not want to implement %Player%.Held.Count as a variable was that if he did that then "everyone would be asking for a variable for this and a variable for that, and it will never end". His words, not mine. That indicates to me that implementing %Player%.Held.Count as a variable IS possible, but that Campbell just did not want to. As I have now got used to using %Player%.Held.Count in my games I am not going to say another word on the subject.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Previous

Return to General IF