ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift End of the Year Comp.t

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Adrift End of the Year Comp.t

Postby Hensman Int'l » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:38 am

Dang! :| Quite the rabbit trail from Comp submissions. As I've stated before, got a new house and now in the process of making it a home. That takes quite a bit of time from writing and playing Adrift games. (BTW - I am writing in my spare time, such as it is, a walkthru of our new house and property. Maybe by New Years' Day.)

As for the debate of complexity of V5 over V4, my take is: of course it is. But that is what improves the quality of the games if one is willing to learn. At the same time, we still can "simulate" the V4 programming with the basics.
But I think the biggest problem was that ADRIFT is an enormous project for one person to be doing by himself in his spare time, which has meant it has taken years to get to the point where it is (mostly) usable.
It really needs to be a stable finished product before lots of people are going to want to use it, but we are getting close now.
The only obvious missing functionality now is the hints back-end, and the proposed WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet text editor would make formatting text a lot simpler.
Very much agree, Saabie, once upon a time, long before I learned of Adrift, I tried to start to write a IF writing program with VB. :x

What Campbell has accomplished from V3.9 to present is wondrous and I am thankful he is still working on the program despite complaints about how long it's taking.
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby David Whyld » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:15 am

KFAdrift wrote:My general feeling is that making software more versatile by adding features works best where the features become clear as a user learns it. What you don't want is every esoteric thing there as a soon as the user tries to take their first steps as they become more tlikely to trip up.

Good point. What V5 needs is a Very Simple Mode - something that strips out all the complicated features and guesswork that's there now and leaves just the basics you need to write a game (maybe even remove the necessity to decide on whether your task is general, specific or system). The more advanced features can be unlocked once people grow more used to the system. Having them all available immediately just confuses people.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:30 am

Congrats with the house Eric. I know what you're going through, we moved last November and are still working rofl
Just make sure that you get your "Man cave" where you can retreat once in a while :wink:

Hensman Int'l wrote:What Campbell has accomplished from V3.9 to present is wondrous and I am thankful he is still working on the program despite complaints about how long it's taking.

Well, then maybe people should start to donate some money to show their appreciation? :whistle:
(This was not aimed at you Eric, but just a general observation)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby KFAdrift » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Well, then maybe people should start to donate some money to show their appreciation? :whistle:
(This was not aimed at you Eric, but just a general observation)

Which is why I recently did. I like the whole donatonware thing as it means no one is actually barred by cost, but it does mean that those of us who can afford something should try to pay and help Campbell.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:44 pm

I don't know what the heart of the problem actually is, but for what it's worth, the reason I can't bring myself to put forth a huge amount of effort to working on an ADRIFT game these days is because I'm pretty confident only two or three people will actually play it. Whatever ADRIFT's strengths or flaws as a system, none of them matter at all when nobody's bothering to use it or check out the games in the first place--but of course then we're back on the popularity issue and the whole discussion about the front page we've had before, which never goes anywhere.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm

There were quite a few reasons why I gave up using ADRIFT, but Lumin's hit one of the big ones right on the head there: no one else is using it. V5 could be the best damn system in the world, but if no one else is using it, it doesn't really matter how good it is. On the other hand, Quest (to pick a good example) might well be the worst system in the world, but I don't mind admitting I'm kinda jealous of the level of feedback the games get over there. Sure, your games are being placed side by side with the most dreadful IF games ever written, and the people singing their praises wouldn't know a good game if they fell over one, but it still must be a nice feeling to know that lots and lots of people are playing your game.
David Whyld

Postby KFAdrift » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:15 pm

I think, and it pains me to say it, in many ways it was easier and more productive to work with the more limited tool set of Adrift 3.9 (Sorry Campbell, I don't mean to belittle your amazing work). Beyond that there is so much to think about when then you just did what you could and your players knew the limitations. Has V5 lost something in becoming so much more powerful?
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby saabie » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:54 am

@Lazzah - I have created a module that contains two user functions that allow the number of held objects and the number of worn objects to be accessed using the variables %HeldCount% and %WornCount%.

Also contains an "examine object" task that allows the player to examine an object in a location adjacent to the one they are now in.
Both locations must be added to the "Locations visible from each other" group for this to be possible.

Can be used as additional library or imported as a module.

HeldCount.amf
saabie

Postby rotter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:32 am

Lumin wrote:I can't bring myself to put forth a huge amount of effort to working on an ADRIFT game these days is because I'm pretty confident only two or three people will actually play it.

For me Lumin has about summed up why I fell out of love with ADRIFT. In another thread I asked who had played any of the recent IFComp games and hardly got any replies at all. Certainly no-one saying they had played or voted. Around here few are creating (I count three ADRIFT games this year) but hardly anyone is playing.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:48 am

rotter wrote:For me Lumin has about summed up why I fell out of love with ADRIFT. In another thread I asked who had played any of the recent IFComp games and hardly got any replies at all. Certainly no-one saying they had played or voted. Around here few are creating (I count three ADRIFT games this year) but hardly anyone is playing.

I must admit that I'm not the big game player. I used to be, but have slowly (I guess) turned into a game creator rather than a game player. I would love to play more games but then a plane crashes into my back yard or all the windows blow out of the green house :shock: It's just that there are so many other things that gets in the way, especially if you have a family that needs to be taken care of too.
It could be interesting to find out how many people out there are actually working with Adrift at this time (besides me)
My fear is that all this negative talk about V.5 will make Campbell drop the project altogether and then where will we be?
I'm not saying that people should not be allowed to critisize V.5 mind you. But it would nice to read a few positive things once in a while.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Adrift End of the Year Comp

Postby David Whyld » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:09 am

Maybe that would be for the best. Abandon V5, go back to V4 and work on that instead.

We can argue forever over which system is better, but there's no denying that ADRIFT was a lot more popular back in the V4 days.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:30 pm

saabie wrote:@Lazzah - I have created a module that contains two user functions that allow the number of held objects and the number of worn objects to be accessed using the variables %HeldCount% and %WornCount%.

Also contains an "examine object" task that allows the player to examine an object in a location adjacent to the one they are now in.
Both locations must be added to the "Locations visible from each other" group for this to be possible.

Can be used as additional library or imported as a module.

HeldCount.amf

Hi saabie, the above link will not work for me.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 am

That's odd, the upload of files to the main site does not seem to be working.
That link is to the "Modules" section of the games download page but it is doing something funny when I upload the file.
I will put a copy on the forum for now:
HeldCount.amf
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:09 am

saabie wrote:@Lazzah - I have created a module that contains two user functions that allow the number of held objects and the number of worn objects to be accessed using the variables %HeldCount% and %WornCount%.

Hi saabie,

I have downloaded the file and imported it into my game file. I can see the new "examine object" task and the new group in the game file, but where are the variables %HeldCount% and %WornCount% ?

Thanks.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:00 am

They are in the "User Functions" folder.
The HeldCount user function is what tells ADRIFT to use the %Player%.Held.Count item function to calculate the value of %HeldCount%
So whenever you use %HeldCount% in text it counts the objects the player is holding and prints the result.
saabie

PreviousNext

Return to General IF