ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Tingalan

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Tingalan

Postby The0didactus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Tingalan is a magic wood
Where the Trees are greatly feared
it's haunted by hares
and phasms and bears
and a spirit with bats in its beard...

...and while some things hide in Tingalan
many things wish to be found.
There are rubies and gold
and berries to hold
and demons that dance underground
and a spot in the sky where the moon goes to cry
when the trees make their terrible sounds.
For moon hides not from you or I,
or an awful truth or a noble lie,
or the hobbling hag with one good eye,
or the platypus that can never die,
but from That Which Waits
in the Deeper Sky
In Tingalan...

Hello ADRIFT community. I'm pleased to announce the completion of a 6-month project, involving perhaps 500 hours of design work and another couple-a-hundred hours of testing.

I'm a librarian from the midwest United States with a passion for adventure gaming. I've been tinkering with Adrift for years, but never really had the gumption to finish a big project...until now. On January 1st of this year, I took a look at the dozens of half-finished creative projects I've accumulated over the last decade, and resolved to finish one. I'm done with it, and soon you'll be able to play it. The game has thousands of tasks, hundreds of locations, even open-source sound effects and music. There's even some cover art. See:

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (257.88 KiB) Viewed 105 times

The premise of the game is pretty simple. Tingalan is a dark forest full of secrets and treasure. You pick five things from this list:

tingalan1.PNG
tingalan1.PNG (123.32 KiB) Viewed 105 times

...and go out exploring. Going deeper will lead you to treasure, and secrets that you can use to increase your chances on subsequent playthroughs...but the deeper you go, the less likely you are to return home alive. IF you manage to get home alive, you get a delightful scoring screen that you can gloat about, like this:

screenshot4.PNG
screenshot4.PNG (172.3 KiB) Viewed 105 times

I'm in the process of writing up a manual. One of those classic brick-thick ones that video games don't come with anymore.

I'm telling you all about this now because I need some playtesters. Two to be exact.
The game has already been extensively tested by my friends, but they've been involved in the design of the game from the beginning. We need some people who have no idea what's waiting for them in the forest...preferably, people who have a lot of experience with text-based adventure games...because this game WILL screw with your expectations of how such a game should work.

If you agree to help me in this, you'll not only get a mention in the game's credits, but you'll get a chance to name part of the forest after yourself.

You see, there are six "landmarks" out there, and only two have been found. The first player that finds one gets to name it whatever they like.

I'm hoping to release the game on the 27th or 28th of July, so I hope some of y'all can get back to me soon!

- Theo
The0didactus

Return to Game Discussions