ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

NEW GAME - "The Axe of Kolt"

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Re: NEW GAME - "The Axe of Kolt"

Postby catman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm

I recently looked at some of the scans of Adventure Probe and Red Herring and Syntax. This was when homebrew adventuring was in its heyday, not many had internet access and text adventures were in the ascendant with regular weekly and monthly adventure columns in the various 8-bit computer mags. You only have to read some of the back issues to see what a thriving genre this was at that time. Of course business was done by post in those days and this was reflected in the dearth of adventure ads of the independent software houses featured in these publications from that period.
I had help from Barbara, too. And Sue Medley of Syntax Mag (remember that one?) It's amazing the amount of material that was covered. They did a great job editing and producing these periodicals what with all the reviews, hints, solutions and what-not. I always eagerly looked forward to receiving my copy through the letterbox. A lot of the games played were made with Quill, PAW and GAC and some were very imaginative indeed.
I suppose you remember Simon Avery of WOW software. I recently emailed him. It seems he is no longer interested now but has posted all his adventure games on his site for anybody who might be interested:

http://www.digdilem.org/index.cgi?p=textadv

Regards,
catman/Phil.
Author of: ThinBasic Adventure Builder (TAB)
Text Adventure/Interactive Fiction Maker for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 and above platform.

Download TAB + demos + tutorial
http://tab.thinbasic.com/
catman

Postby latedeveloper » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi,

My guess is Lazzah is the Larry Horsfeld and if so, thank you! Axe of Kolt gave me hours of enjoyment during my teenage years and I am really happy this game has now been reclaimed. I never actually finished the game due to a bug on my CPC version at the end of part 3 which caused it crash out.

I have started playing and am on part 2. I am a bit stuck and have found a Spectrum solution. http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/in ... t%2c%20The

I thought the game had changed a bit and it seems from this solution that this is right. I'd love to know more about this process in ressurecting the game. However, for the timebeing I am stuck. Part 2, I've had a bit of an explore, found the boat in the river (don't ever remember that from before), made the catapult, found the shed, spoke to the dwarf - it seems like I need to ask him more questions but I can't think what. I've noun scanned everything he has said to me and asked him about it. I don't know where to go next basically.

I can't get into the house. The xixon keep on killing me. Do you provide full solutions or is that a no no?

I hope you can help and I really look forward to hearing back from you or the community. I do love your writing style - it reads like Tolkien. :)
latedeveloper

Postby Lumin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:33 am

Yep that's him, and Axe of Kolt is a great game even though it basically confirmed to me my brain is no longer capable of tackling really puzzle heavy old-school IF alas.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Denk » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:12 pm

latedeveloper wrote:I hope you can help and I really look forward to hearing back from you or the community.
If you type help in-game, you will get Lazzah's e-mail address. He usually responds quite quickly. If you don't hear back from him (he could be busy), come back here, and I can see what I can recall by looking at some old transcripts I have lying around. I have completed the game, but that was a long time ago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby latedeveloper » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm a bit late to the game. I remember hearing mutterings a few years ago of a rewrite but only checked back again recently. I will email him.

Also, sorry for the delay in getting back. Strangely, I didn't get an email when you replied and when I logged I to the site, it didn't say I had any replies. Disappointed, I thought best to check my post just in case and there were 2 replies waiting for me?
latedeveloper

Postby Kennedy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:16 am

Think you have to ask the dwarf about the witch.
Kennedy

Previous

Return to Game Discussions