ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How to update a game

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

How to update a game

Postby Denk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi, I am about to update my game, but when I am logged in, under "edit Adventure Details" the only option I can find relevant to files is "delete adventure". I suppose I should not delete adventure and upload the game as was it an entirely new game? Or is there another way of doing it?
Thanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Re: How to update a game

Postby Lazzah » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:11 am

As long as the new version of the game has the same IFID number as the original version (you can find this number on the Bibliography tab of the developer options page), when you upload the new version it will replace the original version.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Denk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:04 pm

I tried going into the bibliography tab but the IFID in my updated version was different than the original file and the field "IFID" is locked, i.e. I cannot change the IFID. I noticed that the IFID changes everytime I save under a new name. Is there any way to manually change the IFID?

(I attempted to manually change IFID on the upload page, but the result was really bad - I will now need to contact the webmaster to see if he can bring back the original version incl. the review )
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
Denk

Postby Lazzah » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Denk wrote:I tried going into the bibliography tab but the IFID in my updated version was different than the original file and the field "IFID" is locked, i.e. I cannot change the IFID. I noticed that the IFID changes everytime I save under a new name. Is there any way to manually change the IFID?

(I attempted to manually change IFID on the upload page, but the result was really bad - I will now need to contact the webmaster to see if he can bring back the original version incl. the review )

AFAIK it is not possible to change the IFID in a game file, but - as you have found out - it is possible to change the IFID of your game on the ADRIFT website. I had to do this myself recently when I uploaded a new version of one of my games after a player (whose name will be with-held to protect the innocent :haha: ) found some bugs in it. Even though I didn't change the name of the game, the website thought it was a new one.

Send a PM to Campbell, I am sure he will be able to sort it out for you.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Return to Game Discussions