ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Tingalan

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Re: Tingalan

Postby Lumin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks for the tips. :) My mission when I get home today is to start mapping everything I can.

Any chance you could upload the current version to the site here btw?
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Lumin wrote:Thanks for the tips. :) My mission when I get home today is to start mapping everything I can.

Hmmm your first? mission when you get home? I would have thought that would be writing an entry to the Writing Prompt... You are so lagging behind in that area. :whistle:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Lumin wrote:Thanks for the tips. :) My mission when I get home today is to start mapping everything I can.

Tingalan is unfortunately much too large for me to manually upload to the ADRIFT site.
Rather than beg for special uploading procedures every time I found and fixed a bug (easily once a day in late November of last year) I decided to simply make the uploads to my website.
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 pm

The0didactus wrote:

Tingalan is unfortunately much too large for me to manually upload to the ADRIFT site.
Rather than beg for special uploading procedures every time I found and fixed a bug (easily once a day in late November of last year) I decided to simply make the uploads to my website.

Well I can make a note of that and include the link when I get around to my review, but if you can edit the link to your site into the current description that may be for the best. I'd just hate for someone to randomly download it and not realize they're getting the old version, and it's not immediately apparent when they're all 1.0.

Po. Prune wrote:

Hmmm your first? mission when you get home? I would have thought that would be writing an entry to the Writing Prompt... You are so lagging behind in that area. :whistle:

If you don't realize I'm an expert procrastinator by now then I'm afraid you don't know me very well at all.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Lumin wrote:If you don't realize I'm an expert procrastinator by now then I'm afraid you don't know me very well at all.

Ever heard the story about the hare and the tortoise?
Don't rest too comfortably on your point lead ... :P
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:30 pm

The0didactus wrote:Tingalan is unfortunately much too large for me to manually upload to the ADRIFT site.

Can't you simply upload a version minus the sound and graphics (I'm assuming this is why the game is so large) to the main site? I always turn the sound off when playing games and while I don't have a problem with graphics, I'm quite happy to play the game without them.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:56 pm

David Whyld wrote:
The0didactus wrote:Tingalan is unfortunately much too large for me to manually upload to the ADRIFT site.

Can't you simply upload a version minus the sound and graphics (I'm assuming this is why the game is so large) to the main site? I always turn the sound off when playing games and while I don't have a problem with graphics, I'm quite happy to play the game without them.

No graphics but there are a lot of sounds. While they do really add to the effect (one of those rare times I've seen sound used effectively in a game...) it seems perfectly playable without them. People on data limits etc. might appreciate having a 'light' version available. I would've passed on a download of the full game this time last year since I was relying on my hotspot for 4 gigs a month.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Well I didn't make much progress today due to having to slog through 20 awful stories on another site after a class of school kids hit us, but I've hit upon the idea of using ADRIFT itself as the handiest way to do my mapping after a couple of frustrating attempts with graph paper. Should be no more issue with linking up and down for the layers of woods.

I did find an encounter that led me to a shallower part of the wood, and later SEEMED to find a way to make a little circle backwards to return to a room I'd just been in before the woods went deeper, but I was already in so deep it didn't really matter and I didn't really get to test it out.

On my last run I hugged the town, found a lot of useful equipment and even managed to quit alive with 5 silver coins. I'm curious how successful it's possible to be on a 'coward run', although what I really want to do is map the wood. And find whatever the place is that's guaranteed to return me home.
Last edited by Lumin on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:16 pm

I'm going to update the name of the file on my website tonight, so it reads "Tingalan 1.7" (which is the actual name of the version). This is the most recent update.

I may take david's suggestion and cut out the sound and the single graphic (I made a "cover" for the game, so when you turn it on you get a picture). This one will probably be small enough to upload.

My fiancee, currently the undisputed master of the 'coward run', can get 10 under ideal testing conditions. ~5-~6 is on the high end of normal.

My favorite run yields 11 pretty safely, and is fun and thematic besides. There's only a small chance you'll get maimed by elves.

I think the highest score by anyone in the Adrift community is in the upper 20s. If I recall correctly my design philosophy was that the high 20s should only be doable with some understanding of how to navigate the forest and advanced planning of the route to be taken that night.

Even I cannot reliably break 30 on a run unless I get lucky. My average is probably in the low 20s.
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:20 am

Well another friend in IRC started playing after Mayana and I were talking about it so much and this absolute prick managed an 11 coin run within the first few hours after trading for blue vitriol. And then at some point after I went to bed he claimed to get 18.

Naturally I'm outraged and I'm demanding a transcript or it never happened. Also I'm more determined than ever to figure out the deeper wood now because he's a scummy coward who just endlessly circles the town.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:02 pm

...there is no Joy in Tingalan/and there are no happy sounds
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Okay now he claims his highest run is 22, and he blames me for the fact he stayed up half the night trying to beat a goddess at chess. He's going deeper in the wood now and credits shift shape and horseshoe nails for his success, which apparently means I need to start paying more attention to magic.

...I could totally have figured this out by now too if I was a dumb lazy teenager with no job. He is basically the worst human being in existence. Aaarggh
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Lumin wrote:Okay now he claims his highest run is 22, and he blames me for the fact he stayed up half the night trying to beat a goddess at chess. He's going deeper in the wood now and credits shift shape and horseshoe nails for his success, which apparently means I need to start paying more attention to magic.

...I could totally have figured this out by now too if I was a dumb lazy teenager with no job. He is basically the worst human being in existence. Aaarggh

Wow.. David, looks as if you've just been demoted :P
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Worst human being in existence is just another way of saying "hey, that guy's so much better than me", so yeah I can live with that :)
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:33 pm

David Whyld wrote:Worst human being in existence is just another way of saying "hey, that guy's so much better than me", so yeah I can live with that :)

I know you can... The interesting thing is to find out if Lumin can. :roll:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions