ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Character Info Input with Loop

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Character Info Input with Loop

Postby spacedrh » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 am

I fixed my old character information input demo, if you want to check out and tell me what you think of it or maybe add changes, Using amost the same type of variables, I'm working on a game that is a scavenger hunt maze but with a twist, I want to change all the interactive NPCs from a default to player inputs that can allow the NPCs to emulate friends or family members and save this input to a player's saved input file to reuse again or make new input files and these inputs set the variables to change gender, age, clothes, actions, restrictions and other variables. I hope this is possible and I may need some assistance with some problems I may encounter.
spacedrh

Re: Character Info Input with Loop

Postby Denk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 pm

I just had a quick look at your demo. Everythings seems to be working as intended. I think it would be better if you used variables in the input-boxes rather than predefined values, e.g. %PopUpInput["What is your age?(1-100)",%Age%]% instead of %PopUpInput["What is your age?(1-100)","21"]%

In this way the user only has to correct a given mistake, not all values since the game will remember the first typed values.

About saving the input, to my knowledge the only way to save information is in standard save files. Thus you should tell the player to save their position right after defining the characters.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Re: Character Info Input with Loop

Postby spacedrh » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 am

used an old help definition file from 4.0 or 3.0, I need to download the new help files and will change the way inputs are used to change the variable.... TY for the help....
spacedrh

Return to Game Discussions