ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Polendina

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:21 pm

Polendina by Christopher Lewis (Inform)

So EXAMINE and SEARCH mean different things? Damn, I hate games that do that to me. You EXAMINE every item, find a few things, then later on realise you have to go back through the game and SEARCH every item. +1 on the Considering Quitting Table.

Another +1 on the CQT: I've been playing the game for ten minutes and don’t have a clue what it’s about. Most of the actions I'm carrying out I'm doing not because I see any point to them, but purely because there's nothing else to do, so it’s a case of me going into the playground then the pet shop because they're there instead of me seeing any purpose in performing these actions.

There's an oddity uncovered while I was walking through the sewers* and the ring I was wearing mysteriously appeared before me on the ground without me ever removing it. I never did discover if this was purposeful or a bug. According to the walkthrough (which I followed because it seemed better clued into the game than I was), there ought to be my dad’s ID card here** but it wasn’t here at all. Just the ring I had on my finger. Quite why my dad’s ID card would be down in the sewers isn't mentioned in the walkthrough, although glancing further on indicates I need it to enter my dad’s workshop. Only, of course, as the ID card wasn’t there, I can’t do that.

* Why was I in the sewers? Er… dunno. Because it’s there?

** Is there a reason for my dad’s ID card to be down in the sewers? Particularly as I found it at home and left it there?

Well… uninspired game, no clue what I was doing, bugged me with SEARCH and EXAMINE being different things, and a distinct lack of direction. All in all, not one of the better IFComp entries.

3 out of 10
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:12 pm

It's part of a puzzle. To get the ID card out of the house, you need to flush it down the toilet.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Return to Game Discussions