ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Cell Part I

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby MrPetrov » Sun May 20, 2007 8:06 pm

It stinks. :D

Please note that a really stupid mistake on my part led to the filetype being stripped from the file name. Just rename the darn thing whatever you want and slap .taf onto the end of it to give it a try.
I am alive.

Currently working on:
*WIP XXIV (part III) "The Best Game In the World"*
*WIP XXV "Except For This One"*
*WIP XXVI "A Really Good Idea That Went Nowhere"*
MrPetrov

Postby TDS » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:03 pm

Brief Review of Cell Part I

I like!

It starts off with the whole "I don't know who or where I am or what I should do," theme, but unlike other adventures, it moves along very fast. Before I even finish digesting the intro I have a detailed room with events going on. The first room...seem a little too detailed. 8 lines of description is a bit much. I'm sure some of that description in the room description could be put toward the objects in the room. The same with the 10 line description of a woman. It could be compressed into her distinct features if it were to be so detailed.

Presentation...not so good. No title. No author name. Improper spacing. Abundance of commas.

Back to the intro: it goes by fast. I liked its execution. It had a few simple puzzles(if you can call them that) that made me feel part of the action and not just herded through scenes. The action is sweet.

As for the writing...with lines like "You don't get lips and eyes and abs like that without visiting a surgeon. Do it often enough and you get the sort of generic California plastic beauty that this face wears like a mask." Things rarely get boring. Vivid imagery indeed.

The ending left me angry. I want more. Don't tease me! What happens to the guy? The girl? Bah.

Three Words to Describe It: Promising yet Unfulfilling
TDS

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:47 pm

I haven't played this yet but for what it's worth I don't see anything wrong with a room description 8 lines long. I mean, 8 lines? That's not even approaching long.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby Alec » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:39 am

Yeah, I downloaded it but I haven't played yet. But, David, don't you tend to use like 8 pages of description? (Hyperbole)
Casual User
=-Still Under Construction-=
Next Update: Sometime between now and two months from now.
Alec

Postby MrPetrov » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:31 pm

I agree with Alec, DW. Your entry into the review competition, for example, blasted all hopes of my contention. The practiced master nearly always takes all the fun away from the talented amateurs. Brevity is the soul of wit, both of which I lack.

As for the excessive description, Alec, I quite agree. Eight lines, especially of such small type, is a bit much. In my defense, though, I was attempting to get past the usual lips-tits-and-hips descriptions that inevitably are applied to pseduoheroines in the action genre. I suspect that I'd be better served by keeping things in their usual line, though.

As for leaving you hanging, what else would you expect? We must have a sequel, yes? Or perhaps no? It is largely dependent on how much time my government steals from me. :)
I am alive.

Currently working on:
MrPetrov

Postby MrPetrov » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:42 pm

Ack! I am embrassed by my mishandling of the code. Observe that in the above I intended to agree with both Alec (in the matter of Mr. Whyld's pleasantly excessive verbosity) and TDS (in the matter of my own verbosity).

It should also be noted by all, by way of rebuttle, that one pair of commas is a far finer thing than any dozen exclamation points. For, observe, the former makes a few words into the meaning of more in the same manner as lace is woven of threads, and the latter, despite their common and popular use, merely makes one say one thing loudly. I will not abandon my love for that fine and lovely little bottom-line sinker, the common comma, in whose nests we secrete our deepest thoughts and most convoluted constructions, any more than Cyrano would abandon his nose.

I am beginning to vacillate and correct myself like a politican. And, even moreso like one of my sharkskin-suited earmarking masters, I justify my corrections with blathering. Enough.

Commas forever! :D
I am alive.

Currently working on:
MrPetrov

Return to Game Discussions